This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whats a better college major?
03-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Whats a better college major?
Is industrial distribution a good degree that has good job prospects or supply chain management???? Or a bachelors in psychology then graduate school for something else. I am 24 and have been oy if school for 6 years because I was unsure of what to go into because I have too
many interests such as nursing psychology physical therapy social work retail management warehouse management I want something that has good job opportunities I have great customer service skills and am currently a merchandiser for a vending supply company. I am lost for what to go into.....please any advice would be appreciated.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2014, 09:41 PM

it depends...

Ads

03-19-2014, 09:43 PM

supply chain management and grad school.
03-19-2014, 09:54 PM

According to your current job, a supply chain management degree will be suitable. This field is growing fast nowadays and has a bright future ahead. However, you need to keep in mind your personal interests too, always go for a career that you like, not everything is about money. take a look at this link, i'm sure it would be helpful : http://www.excite.com/education/business...management
03-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Psychology has one of the worst job outlooks and is one of the most popular majors (go figure). PT, social work, and management definitely aren't bad...there's stuff out there. If you really want a job, go for engineering or accounting.
03-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Both have their pros and cons.

A degree in nursing (or the other sciences you wrote) is almost a guarantee for a job. Because it is a profession present anywhere and everywhere. Even in countries that have an overflow of nurses like USA or some third-world countries, there are definite jobs.
The unfortunate thing about this is that like any job with mass workers, the potential to grow is limited and in most cases you will be employed by the government, which can be unstable.

As for SCM, well I myself have a double degree of which one is International Business and Marketing. I studied this because it covers a wide variety of fields (Tech, Medicine, FMCG, Disaster Relief etc etc). Supply Chain Management is basically interesting and things change therefore always a learning curve. It also something that is now international and e-SCM.
The bad thing about this is that your actual expertise matters more than qualification. Who you are and what you can do. Not purely academic or limited to books. And its stressful and overtime and things will definitely be tough at the end of the month (or twice in a month).

Hope i helped.