This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do the benefits of having a Facebook page outweigh the risks?
03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Do the benefits of having a Facebook page outweigh the risks?
Seems to me there are multiple potential drawbacks to having a Facebook page, and very few benefits.

Why would a mature married adult want a Facebook page? Convince me why I should make one?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 07:55 AM

I can only speak for myself, but for me I would say that Facebook has been worth it.

-My Facebook page has helped me get back in touch with old childhood friends that I probably would not have crossed paths with again otherwise.
-It is a quick and convenient way for me to interact with and know what is going on in the lives of the people I care about the most.
-I dont post overly personal stuff there, I dont deliberately post controversial material, and I do not criticize my present or past friends/teachers/employers/etc. The people who get fired and/or arrested over things they have posted on Facebook are idiots, plain and simple.

It is a convenient social networking tool. Nothing more. It does not, unlike some, dominate my every waking moment. Nor has it had any real negative consequences for me, besides minor frustration over people who disregard the aforementioned points. ;-)

Ads

03-20-2014, 08:06 AM

I guess I am an adult. I am 77 years old. I have a face book so I can stay in touch with family and friends. I like to see what my kids and grand kids are up to. I have also found some friends that I went to school with fifty some odd years ago.
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Facebook is as public or as private as you want it to be. People that complain are mostly teenagers that lied about their real age in the first place in order to get an account, then they are "friending" everyone they meet at a random party or location and later are worried about being stalked by that same weirdo they met.

Facebook is the greatest tool for responsible users who actually know what the purpose of the tool is, to socialize with friends. You can configure FB to categorize contacts as family, close friends, neighbors, school or work buddies, acquaintances, or a friend of a friend among others. Based on that categorization you can limit what they can see, what they can share about you, etc. so you can avoid any potential issues later. Or you can simply decide just to have family as part of your FB circle of friends and you don't have to worry about any privacy settings because you have a greater level of trust with them.
I've been in Facebook for six years now. I've never had to close my account and open a new one because of stalking, harassment, or any security or privacy issue. And that's because I know what to share and with whom, and FB provides the tools to do it.
03-20-2014, 08:24 AM

I cannot think of one potential drawback. Set it to private (friends only)... no worries.

I've been on since '07 and I've found it is a great way for me to stay connected with my family around the world. I hate being thousands of miles from my parents, children and grandkids... It helps me not miss them so much. We share pictures, stories, good times, bad times, prayer requests but most of all we just joke around and keep that bond we have.

I cannot understand how being mature and married has anything at all to do with it. It isn't a dating site unless you use it for that.
03-20-2014, 08:36 AM

if you don't already have one, don't do it.

seriously.

don't.

i think about deleting it all the time. there are so many adds. but there are people i know for whom it is the easiest way to contact them and it helps me stay informed about local shows and letting other people be informed when my band is playing and stuff like that. i'd love to quit. i really would. if you don't have one now and are happy, just don't get started in the first place. its only going to get worse and advertisements are going to be more and more ubiquitous until they drive enough people away that they can't make money. so save yourself the annoyance and just don't join.