This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is my laptop not connecting to my Internet properly?
03-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Why is my laptop not connecting to my Internet properly?
My laptop will connect to the internet for a little while then drop connection (it will stay connected for 2 to 30mins). There is another laptop in my household and it connects fine. For some reason only my laptop will not connect properly. I am thinking about buying a usb wifi adapter the Linksys - Dual-Band Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter.
will this help or fix my problem?
Please answer! Thanks!
I have a Lenovo B575
It is running windows 7
I mostly use it for browsing the internet and gaming

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Having to go through too much wall material or even a microwave oven can interfere with a weak WiFi signal. Try to optimization your WiFi reception by moving the computer, router, or direction of WiFi antenna on router.

Also, check for spyware with MalwareBytes Free or SuperAntiSpyware free.

Ads

03-20-2014, 11:24 AM

we need more than just your laptop.... Here is what we need:
Version (windows 7 or mac 10.6)
What you use it for?
Have you messed with the drivers? (installed a vpn etc...)
Have you tried a restore

You can't just say my laptop won't connect to the internet without any info. Thanks!
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Your other Computer is hogging the internet connection and you get the dribs and drags. Get your own connection and you will have no trouble.
03-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Most laptops come with a built in wireless card, so you shouldn't need to purchase a new connectivity device for your computer. When your internet drops do you see a little warning sign next the wireless connection button next to the clock? Also, what version OS are you running (Mac (version) or Windows (version Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1) and what model computer (Apple, HP, Dell, etc.) are you using?

Start by checking your antivirus software settings. Sometimes your antivirus software will cause issues with the internet connection depending on the software settings. I reccommend always having some form of antivirus/antispyware software installed, but it might be a firewall or other antivirus software setting. This is hard to determine as you did not mention what (if any) antivirus software you use.

It might be a setting on your network itsself. Depending on the version of the OS you're using, you can try the following: in the control panel, under network connections, right click on the wireless connection and choose properties. Next click on the configure button under power management. If there is a check mark in the button that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", uncheck the box and save the setting.

You might also try making sure that you have the most updated driver for the wireless card in your system. You can update your driver by going to control panel, device manger, and looking under the network devices tab. If you right click on the driver, you should see an option for "update device driver". You can also visit the manufacturer's website to get the latest drivers.

Most connectivity issues in laptops are a software problem though--and can be caused by conflicting drivers, bad or improperly installed updates, or viruses. I would also advise you to run a scan on your computer for viruses. You can run a free scan here http://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/re.../analyzer. (There's lots of other places too that lots of other people may recommend)

If your drivers are all up to date, and your virus scans virus come back as clean, and you're still experiencing issues, it could be a hardware problem (i.e. bad network card). If you have on board diagnostics that include the Wi-Fi card, then check your computer's MFG website for how to access and run those tests. If you're not comfortable, you can always reach out to an authorized service provider to assist you with running hardware diagnostics. Some models come with built in diagnostics others don't. The cost for replacing your Wi-Fi card (if needed) will be determined by the cost of part, and labor. Make sure to ask if hardware diagnostics is included in the cost for the repair or if it is an additional charge. If your laptop is still within the manufacturer warranty period (which is different depending on the manufacturer but generally a year from purchase) the repair might be covered by the MFG of your computer.

Good luck!

Agent Kate B
Badge 30870
Covert Quality Assurance Agent | Geek Squad Online Support
Geek Squad Social Media Team
01/07/14