This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Someone created a fake Facebook account with my name and altered a pic of me. Stalking me, what do I do?
03-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Someone created a fake Facebook account with my name and altered a pic of me. Stalking me, what do I do?
Can I go to the police?

The person has been stalking me online, but has never threatened me. He just has things sent to my work email address -- like advertisements for braces, hair replacement, some gay litereature, but nothing with "his" name.

Now he has created a fake account, altered a picture of me to make me look African American, and wrote his first status:

"I cooked collard greens and chitterlings for dinner tonight."

He tried to add me as a friend, to let me know he created this new account.

Can I do anything? I already sent him emails asking for no further contact.
The person created other fake accounts, pretending to be a new friend, cultivating a "relationship" with me online, trying to arrange to meet, and then never showed up, causing me to drive places to meet someone who wasn't "real."

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Don't contact the police, contact Facebook and they can have his account removed.

Ads

03-20-2014, 04:01 PM

report him to facebook
03-20-2014, 04:16 PM

report to facebook
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Let all your "friends" know it isn't your site.
03-20-2014, 04:29 PM

Yes, you can formally file a complaint with facebook
you can take these records to your local police dept. and they can contact
an internet sector that deals with this. but most of the time nothing will happen
i seen this happen a lot when people come in and say someones stalking me, well if they
havent made a threat than we cant do a thing
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM

Report him to Facebook people and they should handle this situation!
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM

If you contact Facebook and let them know what is going on, they can and will remove his account and likely ban his real account too.

Also, even though he hasn't made any threats, what he is doing is harassment and is legally a crime. Take the Texas definition of harassment for example:

Sec. 42.07. HARASSMENT.
(a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass another, he:

(7) sends repeated electronic communications in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another.

In this case, the key words are harass and annoy. Odds are that the police will not do anything about it because it is a minor crime and often only a misdemeanor, but at least you would have something on record.