This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How would I reply to this?
03-21-2014, 01:09 PM
How would I reply to this?
I got a tour of my new high school today by an incoming junior girl. I'm an incoming freshman.
I'm naturally shy when I first meet people, so I spoke quietly and didn't say much.
I just saw on her twitter that she said I was "boring". That really hurt me. I'm going to get Tour Part 2 from her next week.
How should I reply (and not seem boring/shy) to someone saying something like
1 "This teacher gives a lot of homework"
2 "This is the library, you can like eat or sleep here if you're lazy."
3 "The seniors set off a stink bomb and it smelled so bad!"
These are of the things she told me today, but whenever she said something, I just replied with a quiet "Oh" or quietly chuckled.

Please number your answers 1-3 and post some possible non-boring replies that I could have given. Only kind ones please. Smile

Thanks
nope she doesn't know I saw her twitter; I don't even follow her :'(

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM

First of all, you didn't do anything wrong. She was rude. It is really mean to publicly say something mean (like she did on Twitter). Many people your age are shy when first meeting people, so you're normal.

I think you should request a different guide. You don't have to complain about her if you don't want to. Just say that there was a comment on Twitter that you'd rather not talk about and you'd feel more comfortable with someone else.

1. "Oh no."
"I hope I don't have her."
"Is she fair?"

2. "OK." Not much you can say to that one.

3. "Were they caught?"
"Do people play many pranks?"

You were fine though. She was mean.

Ads

03-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Wow, that was kind of mean of her to do. Did she know you follow her on Twitter? Because if she did, that would be so rude! But even if she didn't, it's still rude. Don't worry, you were just being cautious which is completely understandable.

1. "Oh wow, thanks for the tip. I like/hate teachers who pile on a lot of work!"

2. "Haha, it's nice to have a second home in this school, I guess!"

3. "Are there a lot of pranks in this school? That's kind of funny/gross!"
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Just wanted to add my voice to those who pointed out that there was nothing wrong with YOU; she is rude and horrible.

Any reasonable reaction would do. You can do that with the word "oh" if you put some feeling into it, or a question mark at the end, or talk about your experience

1. "Ugh! I had a teacher who really heaped it on once." or "Yikes! I've been lucky so far."

2. "They let you EAT here?" or "We'd have been shot for that at my old school" or whatever.

3. "Eww!" then say whether people did stuff like that at your old school, or just leave the reaction.

Don't think you have to respond to EVERYTHING she says next time. But a few words beyond "oh" wouldn't hurt.

If you have any questions about anything, that's the time to ask them -- that's part of the point of such a tour. Maybe brainstorm with yourself beforehand, and list some questions. You can ask them when appropriate during the rest of the tour, or ask them after.

If you can look at her with an interested look while she's talking, that, too, would help, with an eager look (don't overdo, but looking as though you are interested makes you seem interesting).
03-21-2014, 01:45 PM

The girl who gave you the tour of your new school isn't being a very good diplomat. When she was chosen to give tours by the school's faculty, I'm sure all of her outstanding qualities stood out as to why she would be a good person to be put into a position such as a tour guide. It was very wrong of her to tweet her opinion of anyone she lead through your school today. If she has negative thoughts about others or her opinion of them, Twitter is not the place to express those thoughts. She should just keep those thoughts to herself. I think that maybe she is the boring one here, because she doesn't have anything better to tweet. She should be twittering her positive experiences as a school tour guide and not her personal opinions of others. Maybe you could point this out to her by telling her that you read her tweets and think that they are very boring! Then, just turn and walk away.

As for answering the three questions you listed, I started to respond to this by asking you to think about what you should have responded with when posed these very questions. But, then I thought, maybe your shyness, in conjunction with feelings of being overwhelmed with everything going on at school, you just didn't know what should have been said. You certainly didn't know that your lack of response to this girl's "cheerleading personality" guidance and information was going to come back to metaphorically slap you in the face. So, I want to coach you a little in this area of responding to others. When you hear others speak, whether it's a question or a general statement, a good way for you to overcome your shyness and to have them form a good general opinion or first impression of you would be to go ahead and respond with something of your own and don't wait for it to be in the form of a question directed at you. If she commented, "This teacher gives a lot of homework", this, to me, is vague. Come back at her with, "Now, are you saying this because you just don't like homework or can you back this up with concrete evidence? What's your opinion of 'a lot'?" That's how I would have responded. If she can pull boring out of THAT response when commenting about you, then she's just plain stupid! When she commented, "This is the library, you can like eat of sleep here if you're lazy." Come back with, "So, what do YOU do here in the library?" Then justify this by saying, "Why in the world would anyone come to the library to 'like eat or sleep'?" I think this would have the girl thinking strongly about giving off the wrong impression, which is what I totally took from the question. She isn't the greatest choice of tour guides, if you ask me. For the final question, when she asked, "The seniors set off a stink bomb and it smelled bad." Respond with, "Well, isn't a stink bomb SUPPOSED to smell bad? I don't think they should smell like a dozen roses!" This would let her know just how trite and obtuse she is...

When responding to others, don't get arrogant or rude, but pose your response in a manner that will have others knowing just how intelligent you are. You don't want to come across as being rude, but when silly comments and shallow remarks are made, then respond in a clever way that will have that person thinking how silly, stupid, or immature their comments have been.

If you want to address the situation directly to this girl, then tell her you read her tweet and couldn't help but think that she was talking about you. Tell her it really hurt your feelings and didn't appreciate what she did. Tell her you have a history of being shy, plus being the first day of school was stressful enough. Tell her that if she really got to know you instead of going on generalized observations, she will see just how intelligent you are. Then, tell her, if she wants to really see boring, go back and look at her tweets! That should get her...