This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why won't my wifi connect to my new laptop?
03-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Why won't my wifi connect to my new laptop?
I just got a new laptop a few months ago, and I've tried almost everything to get it to connect to my Verizon Fios router. It connects to my friend's routers perfectly, but it just won't work with mine. My mom doesn't know how to connect it, and the only chance I can use internet is on my shared PC. I've restarted the router numerous times and tried the default password on the laptop, but it just won't work. The default password itself is a little weird- it has symbols like hashtags and ^- and I don't know it that's right.

So, any suggestions?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 07:43 PM

No hashtags in your wireless password does not sound right lol, what exactly is the problem though? You are connecting but don't have internet access? Or you can't connect due to wrong password?

If its the latter go on your computer that works, open connections menu and right click your connection > properties, this brings you to the security tab, tick the box that says show characters and double check that is the password you are using.

If you can connect but have no internet access please update the question accordingly so I can try to help you.

Ads

03-21-2014, 07:47 PM

Network troubleshooting in many cases can simply be trial and error. If your password contains hastags and symbols, that is not correct. If you don't have the correct password, you will not be able to connect to the network. If you do not know the password, it is common that you may not have set a password. The default for verizonFios routers is "password1". Make sure that you have the correct authentication type selected for the network, (e.g. WPA/WSK)

If this still doesn't help, visit your administrative panel for the router, by opening the browser and navigating to 192.168.1.1. From here you can modify the security settings for your router. If all else fails, from the administrative panel, turn off authentication, and leave the network unsecured. Try accessing the network from as an unsecured network. You can later add security, but for now, you just want to establish a connection.

Note that if your network SSID is set to auto connect this network, or is stored in the list of networks, you may get an error saying the network credentials not the same, to.fix this, just remove the network from this list, refresh, and try again.

On a side note, if you cannot access your administrative panel at 192.168.1.1, and it gives you a "webpage not available'' then this means your router is not properly configured on your pc. To solve this, you will need to configure your router.

I hope that something I have mentioned will help you, below I have a few links you may find helpful also....

The first one will show you how to.access your administrative panel, and the second how to configure your network

http://cbuck03.wordpress.com/2007/05/22/...n-trouble/

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residen.../setup.htm