This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is scoliosis surgery worth the risks?
03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Is scoliosis surgery worth the risks?
So I have a very painful 43degree curve in my lower back and a 20degree curve in my upper back. I don't have a day when I don't have pain. School is a challenge and you can forget about anything involving extensive walking. I'm 17 and going off to college soon. I want to be a normal college student who can do things everyone else can. Are the risks of surgery worth it? I really don't know what I should do. My surgeon says that it's up to me, and that he has seen people go either way. Help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Hello, Scoliosis is a very painful disease and can cause so much misery and
pain. It is a serious surgery. and can be dangerous to you due to the possibility
of possibly being paralyzed with any back surgery. A surgery like that can go either way. You can be better after it is done, or worse. There really is no other alternative but surgery if you want to take the risks. Without the surgery you will continue to become more twisted with time so you have to weigh. I feel your
pain as I had back surgery with a plate and 6 screws and must live in chronic
constant pain .I survive each day wishing for a new body. I Won.t ever get it
but just a wish. I hope you make the right one for you. God bless.

Ads

03-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Scoliosis is not a disease. Yes, scoliosis can be very painful at times. I am 18 months post op, had the surgery at 61 years of age. Yes, it was totally worth having the surgery done. It is wonderful looking in a mirror or walking by a windows & see a reflection of me....and I have a nice straight back. Any surgery is risky. Yes, this is a major surgery. Finding the right orthopedic surgeon is very important....you need to do a lot of research & find referrals from others who have had surgery & who their surgeon was & their results. The only occasional pain I have now is muscle aches from over doing things which is easy on the days I am feeling like I can conquer my own world. It takes two years for the spine to fuse & heal. There are some wonderful scoliosis support groups on Facebook...just do a search. My favorite is "Scoliosis How to Look Good Twisted".