This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is a bad economy a good time to freelance?
03-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Is a bad economy a good time to freelance?
I have experience in graphic design and I am currently taking classes to become more experienced in web design. I also have a B.A. degree in English from about 10 years ago. I did some writing now and then at my jobs, but nothing that impressive. I was thinking of becoming a full-time freelancer in the design and writing field. I'd like to offer writing services in addition to design because it seems as though the freelance market is overloaded with graphic and web designers. I was just looking for some honest advice from experienced freelancers. Becoming self-employed always scared me because I would give up job security, but it seems like every well-paid designer that I meet is a freelancer and claims that they would never again work for anyone else. I would never leave my job without any strong leads. But, how can I build up my portfolio and eventually venture out on my own?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2014, 01:59 AM

These days even a degree is no guarantee of a good job. Try earning your cash by using Google - I do, it is great. There is a no-risk trial here http://pifamefs.museco.net

Ads

03-23-2014, 02:10 AM

You kinda answered your own question just rephrased a bit.

Depends on your personality it will make or break you. Not everyone is designed to be a freelancer or business type some just need the extra help and comfort of working under someone else they both have 360 stresses. This economy is a tricky one, its all about timing.

The market is full of lazy web designers and graphics designers, very few good ones and some great ones.

I would still recommend working for somebody, build a following with an indie site with your portfolio (even twitter) on the side and see what happens depends on your network.

I am a web designer too I am in Fort Lauderdale Florida, you can add me as a friend or email me if you want I don't mind talking web design. I say you always start somewhere.