This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does it make sense to not use social media?
03-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Does it make sense to not use social media?
I have stopped using social media altogether about 7 months ago, and I've been feeling really lonely lately. Does social media "put your name" out there? Is it really that bad to use these things. When I did use it, it made me feel like it made me less intelligent or less productive. Also, the culture surrounding social media makes me kind of sick. It feels like everyone is idiotic, and there's no valuable discourse to be had. Is that a rational concern?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2014, 05:39 AM

Yes, social-media tends to take people over(latest research shows people on social-media experience more stress, more anxiety, more insecurity, and are less likely to get things done in real-life, because they invest too much time in a virtual-World), so it's actually really healthy not to be on social-media.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by, 'putting your name out there', but if it means having a social-pressence, there's an old-school trick for that, GO OUT.

Ads

03-23-2014, 05:55 AM

Even I have done the same and for the same reasons. For nearly a year. It doesn't matter. Whether you use social media or not is entirely you choice. It isn't absurd.
03-23-2014, 06:06 AM

It makes no sense. Social media is very useful to provide input on a variety of things around us and even from around the world.
03-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Of course, why shouldn't it?
I know what you mean that social media can be a destructive habit that makes you narcissistic & reclusive.
It's the world we live in sadly, everywhere you look 1 out of 3 people own a smartphone. Technology has become too accessible, making us lazier.
I have nothing against social media, but I get turned off by the constant attention seekers online.
So good for you for not joining in with the crowd. Some things are better left experienced first hand, face-to-face.