This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A DVD disk or a Hard Drive.?
03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
A DVD disk or a Hard Drive.?
What is overall better and why? Don't say Hard Drive because it's portable or a dvd disk because it can burn dvd's on it (I want to put files on it and other stuff). Can you burn a dvd movie in it and add more files as well? Hard drives though are easier to use but can't be used for my dvd player so which is the overall better choice.

PS: Please check out my gaming channel. It only has 2 videos but I'm making more.
Here is the link for my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAx4JP-..._agMTL2ZwA

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2014, 03:57 PM

Hard drive

Ads

03-23-2014, 04:06 PM

You need both. The hard drive will hold the movie you want to burn on a DVD disk. Once you burn the DVD it isn't necessary to keep the movie on the hard drive, so delete it to save space
03-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Neither. They both exist and perform different functions in a PC. The same as a knife and fork both are needed to eat but neither is "better". Please don't post spam links to your YT Channel.
03-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Two different things, you need both.
03-23-2014, 04:35 PM

Better... for what? Every piece of equipment is "best," and every piece of equipment is "worst." it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. What's important to you?

Me? I could do without a DVD burner entirely, but that's just me. I have no use for that 20 year old technology anymore. I bid them a fond farewell the same way I did to 5.25" floppies and 8-track tapes.
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

I would advise you to have them both...and they are both portable(well can be if you buy the external versions). I have a large 3 TB internal hard drive and a blu-ray internal drive...and record gameplay videos for my youtube channel. I record at 1080p, very high quality settings, at 30fps...and one hour sessions are around 20 GB. Thankfully I have 500 GB SSD to run my OS and programs, but still with having so many videos recording it does take a lot of space. I purchased some blu-ray discs to burn the videos to, that is until I saw that the quality I was recording at caused them to be such large files so I would only be able to burn one video per disc...and that would be very expensive. My blu-ray drive has special features that allow it to use special blu-ray discs that can record 150+ GB on a single disc...but those discs very expensive. The better alternative was to get the large hard drive and record to it.

I had two main options for my expectations. I needed 3 TB drive that was SATA III, 7200 RPM, that was reliable. I could either get a desktop portable/external version, or an internal one. I ended going internal because I have more than enough support for it in the case and system. There was no cost difference between the ones that fit my criteria, and it ended up costing my just $100 or $105.

So now I have the SSD for OS and programs, internal HDD for all my videos, and an external HDD I already owned for my windows backup. For your situation it may be very different. If you are recording low quality and smaller files, then you could get a smaller hard drive if you wanted or even use a dvd burner. If you get DVD+RW discs and your drive supports it then you can burn more content to your disc later on.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NBSN/205302762950470 if you need any help.