This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My parents wonder why I don't visit with them often. How can I be honest.?
03-24-2014, 10:11 AM
My parents wonder why I don't visit with them often. How can I be honest.?
Overall I was a good child and every parents dream as a teenager! I brought home good grades, did what I was suppose to do. My mother sends me a message on Facebook asking me why I never frequent their home-I gave this question considerable amount of thought and here is my conclusion. My parents were just way too strict with me-when I entered college I felt as if I had won the jack pot because the parents were no longer breathing down my neck. I vow to be my child's friend and never take the road of my house and my rules. Parents this is what you have to look forward to if you are a clear authority fugue! Your children want nothing to do with you. Did anyone else turn out feeling this way? How is the relationship as an adult.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:20 AM

No, I don't share your feelings at all and I grew up with the strictest parents by far in my friend group. You sound very young. 18? 19?

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:22 AM

I understand what you mean, and sadly, you can read on yahoo answers many questions from teens asking how to get through their remaining years in their overly strict households. It doesn't bother some kids to be raised strictly, but others really resent it. As a parent who had strict parents myself, who to add insult to injury used to lay guilt trips on me all the time about why I rarely called or visited, let me offer some advice. Find the road between being an authoritarian, and being your child's friend. When children, especially young children, are hurt, scared, needing advice, they don't go to their friends, they go to their parents. The main thing is to leave the doors of communication open. Create an environment where they feel they can tell you anything, and you won't judge them. Believe me, as teens, they will still keep plenty to themselves. Respect the privacy that they need. Let them know that you love whoever they are. My relationship with my parents was really never good, to be honest, but I did enjoy seeing them interact with my kids. They were much more easy going as grandparents. You may have the same experience.
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

At some point, you will really understand that what your parents did. Was truly out of love and wanting the best things for you. At some point when that clicks, you will look at them, view them differently. I have no idea what you mean by strict nor at what level they treated you. They did what they thought was best and if it didn't cross the line to abuse what they did helped you reach the point you are now. I think you are looking at it in the wrong way.
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Unless you're still on college then I think you should kinda get over it.