This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
the differance between kb & k photos?
03-24-2014, 10:14 AM
the differance between kb & k photos?
okay, so im so stupid when it comes to twitter , & im trying to upload a photo how do i upload it when it says i can only have 700 k but all my picture are like 25 kb or 50.0 kb at the most 180kb

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:15 AM

700k = 700kb
I think
k=kilo=1000
700kb = 700,000b

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:25 AM

K and Kb mean the same thing. Kilobyte. Unlike what most people think, in computer lingo, when it comes to (file) sizes. Kilo doesn't stand for 1000 but for 1024. So, an upper size limit of 700Kb means 700 X 1024 Bytes = 716,800 Bytes.

Shouldn't matter though because in your example both numbers (the size limit of 700K and your file sizes 25Kb) use the same scale, they are both in Kilobytes. For all intents and purposes you should be able to upload your files (given that the file sizes you mention are correct) and never have to worry about reaching the upper limit. However, a lot of sites limit not only the size of the file, but also the size of the image.

Say a site limits photos to be 700Kb and a width of 250 pixels, and you try to upload a photo that is 25Kb and 360 pixels wide, It's not going to work. Not because the file size, but because you go over the maximum allowed image size.

While Twitter doesn't impose a size limit in pixels (they will shrink it if needed) it does have to be (assuming we are talking about profile/avatar pictures) square. If you use a rectangle, it will get chopped. Also note (see link below) that Twitter admitted to their being a bug in their in their profile picture upload for some people.

Last but not least, you have to make sure it's not TOO small. Twitter requires the photo to be AT LEAST 48Kb.