This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need some input on my paper for AP English?
03-24-2014, 10:22 AM
I need some input on my paper for AP English?
I have to write a preface for my English anthology, which in short, is this huge type scrapbook we had to make. i just want to see how my paper reads, so far, If you have any notes or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Struggle. we all hear that word a lot. Teenage boys and girls use
it with the hashtag ‘#thestruggle’ usually to describe some event that is a little bothersome to them at the moment, but that’s not struggle. Struggle is both a noun and a verb. It is a word that can be used to describe people. People are struggling in their struggle. That is so huge. But so small. We all struggle. Every single one of us. The all star athlete does. As does the ‘I-don’t-care’ teenager. Everyone does. We all fall. Not everyone gets up. I want people to say the crying mother, the beaten man, and look at the smiling couple, the laughing babies, and feel hope. Know that they can get up. GET UP. Life might suck but, it doesn't have to. Life can be fantastic. To get to that absolutely amazing point, you first have to find that you are struggling. I mean they always say that knowing is the first step to fixing it. I had originally started my anthology with that idea in mind, that notion of struggle. As i was nearing the end of my anthology, I was flipping back through the works that I have been assembling this entire year. I realized something. I realized that i wasn't really depicting struggle, I was depicting not just struggle. I’m having some difficulty placing words on this matter. All the articles and pictures that I had selected show struggle, and all, but that's not the point I want to make. I had experienced a shift. I don’t want this to be seen and watch people be sad at the sad stories they read.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't have put it as strongly as @Gill, but it certainly is not good.

What are you trying to say in this Preface ?

Much of this is meaningless the way you've written it - you obviously have something in mind that you are trying to put across but you need to think carefully about what that is.

'It is a word that can be used to describe people.'
It is ?
"What did she look like?"
"She looked like struggle!"

'That is so huge. But so small.' - It can't be both.
Do you mean that it appears as a huge obstacle but in fact it is but a little bump in the road of life?

' i wasn't really depicting struggle' - Why not?
'I was depicting not just struggle.' - What else were you depicting?

'I had selected show struggle, and all, but that's not the point I want to make.'
If it wasn't 'struggle' you wanted to show/depict, what did you want to show, and why didn't you?

'I had experienced a shift.' - It can happen to us all. There's no harm/shame in that.

'I don’t want this to be seen ....' - So your years work is wasted?

'watch people be sad at the sad stories they read.' - It is human nature to be sad at sad stories.

*Sorry @Invented, you need to edit and clarify what it is you want us, the readers, to take from your preface.
Is it an explanation of what 'struggle' really means; what we call 'struggle' is not really a struggle just a difficulty, a way of looking at ourselves and to realise that we don't really know what it is to 'struggle?

I am certainly 'struggling' to understand.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply