This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Survey for class - social drama as a result of Facebook?
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Survey for class - social drama as a result of Facebook?
I'm a 23-year-old grad student, and I've been using Facebook since I was a senior in high school. I've moved around a bit and attended two different colleges in that time period, so I've found it to be a useful tool in staying in touch with people and keeping up on what old friends are doing. I don't accept friend requests from people I've never met in real life. Recently, I have heard a great deal of talk about all the "drama" on Facebook, both from people my own age and younger ones whom I sometimes counsel. The people my age and older who talk about this problem are the ones who are surprising to me. Some of them talk often about deleting their accounts as a result of said drama, but they never seem to do so. Or if they do, they reactivate their accounts within a few days.

Well, now one of my classes is doing a project on social media, part of which involves surveying people about their experiences with different sorts of such websites. I'm doing my project about Facebook since I have the most experience with it. (I've never used Twitter, MySpace, Tumblr, or most of the other sites which are in the same category.) So I was wondering if anyone who has used Facebook could take a moment and help me out by sharing some of your experiences? Have you ever experienced any form of social "drama" as a direct result of Facebook? If so, what happened? And finally, how did you resolve it? (ex. decide to ignore it, change privacy settings, block people, delete account, etc.) Thanks in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM

some of my friends kept getting bugged by a fake account -- they didnt know them, but this 'person' happened to know quite a lot about them. they had no mutual friends, and all my friends privacy settings were 'friends only' after reporting this user and every time he tried to send them a message, the account was deleted -- either by the big bods in charge of facebook, or by the person/persons behind the fake account.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply