This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ok, convince me Facebook is a good thing.?
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Ok, convince me Facebook is a good thing.?
It seems like a lot of hassle for the effort.

All I ever seem to hear from people on facebook either involve arguments or gossip.

I'm not being anti-social and do have friends but it just seems like too much hassle for what its worth.

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

You get what you put into it. I mean, it's not a bad thing.

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Nope Facebook is a playground for nosey people and nothing is safe on there NOTHING!

I would never use Facebook again!!!
03-24-2014, 10:43 AM

I don't have any hassle with facebook at all. I don't know why you think it's a hassle. I use it to stay in contact with friends, family, etc. I get to use it to show pictures of people in my life to those in my family who aren't in the same state as me and they get to see how we're doing, etc. I think there are more pro's than con's.
03-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Mmm...that's a hard one. Whilst Facebook can be a fun social networking site where you can chat, join groups, comment on photos and make friends-it's also a dangerous site. I agree that loads of stuff can happen on Facebook and fights can happen-and it's also resulted in robberies, murders and etc...so I'd probably say no, the pros do not outweigh the cons. But that's just me. Hope I helped Smile
03-24-2014, 10:51 AM

I hate it, but it's worth having just to keep in contact with people & up to date with what's going on. You only need to check your emails to see if anyone's said anything to you, so it's not really any effort at all.
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Ha! I'm sitting in a house where there are seven face book users, i'm certainly not one of them. So they're all chatting to their mates who live around the corner, or adding comments or playing games etc. What a total waste of time and an absorbing, pretentious, farce!

Gracie: Facebook is for people who don't know enough about modern technology. It's designed as an easy profile site with all the attachments for people who don't have the skills to create their own sites.
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM

There are no pro's in facebook.

You want people to contact you, sure, give them your phone number or other contact details, but there is absolutely no need for a Facebook profile.

You don't need a facebook profile to be sociable. You need friends in REAL LIFE to be sociable, that's all.
Facebook is just a tool that allows you to contact your friends, although you need to be careful because anything you post about yourself on Facebook is generally searchable -- anyone can find it.
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Its not any hassle for me, or other smart people who take any effort at all to learn about modern technology. Facebook arguments/gossip aren't that common, and when they happen, it's usually just a misunderstanding because it's hard to tell someone's tone over the internet/texting. And when they do happen, it's pretty funny to read them (if you're not involved). Pros are you can see what your friends are doing, and keep in contact with them if they live across the world or whatever. Cons are "liking" pages, but that's the only thing I don't like about it.
03-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Hi

First of all, many people liking something doesn't always have to mean that you're somehow different because you don't, and it certainly doesn't mean that you have to change your mind just to show others that you ain't 'weird'...

Having said that, sometimes you can let your curiosity overcome your 'stubbornness' and go and see what the fuss is all about.

At the start, I used not to like the idea of me talking about stuff online - mainly because I'm an uninteresting person ... LOL

But no, seriously - I used to work with a little team at my university and they always chat about pictures that they post and how funny they are, so I felt a little bit left out.

Also, I am a software engineer, and part of my profession is to learn about new things - and apart from a social networking service, Facebook is a large profit-making organisation in a unique market that is important to my professional life.

And - I actually found it useful to communicate with people I lost connections with years ago - two things: You don't always have to call, second: less tedious than sending email. And - yes, there's some gossip if you're into this sort of thing, I found it fun and practical.

There has been of course lots of talk about privacy issues, but frankly, this is just stuff that the media wants to sound like it's a huge deal where it is not.

Facebook offers lots of detailed settings that you can use to control who can see what - I personally found this very useful and easy to use. But I also make sure that I don't say too much or put things that can be used against me... for example, I don't break the law, I don't give personal details such bank details, I don't post inappropriate pictures of me or others, and so on...

If you want to use facebook, make sure that you're legally allowed to do it, obey the company's terms and conditions, read the privacy policy (some websites can own your pictures if you post them on their websites, so careful... read in between the lines).

Always obey the law.

Good luck!