This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I see a therapist without my parents finding out?
03-24-2014, 10:34 AM
How can I see a therapist without my parents finding out?
I wouldn't even be asking this if it weren't for my teacher who thought it would be fine and dandy to alert my parents of me having a suicide plan. I am so angry at her. She alerted my academic counselor from my freshman to sophomore year and the one from junior to senior year. Luckily my counselor called me in to talk to me about my "stress" and accidentally mentioned suicide so I was able to soothe everything over when I got home and my mother asked me about it.

You know how people say when you're depressed or feeling suicidal you should tell someone about it? I did. I told a teacher I thought I could TRUST and told her how if my parent's were to find out they would NOT take me to a therapist but instead PUNISH me because "its all inside my head". Thank god I didn't tell her about my mild eating disorder and self mutilation habits. Who knows what would have gone down then. I probably wouldn't even have been on the computer.

When I got home from school, I told my mother I spoke to my counselor and my mother asked me about "the crazy teacher who said I was being suicidal due to stress". She also added that my counselor was interested in how my weekend had gone and thought I was going to kill myself. I just said that she must have taken what I said about wanting to die so I wouldn't have to finish my math class literally. My mother laughed it off and went away to go harass me about how I need to wash my face four times a day because I was breaking out.

My teacher then messaged me on facebook and asked how things went with my parents. I lied and said I talked about it with my dad and that he had a friend (since my dad wanted to be a therapist about a decade ago) who taught group therapy and would probably call him tonight. Yes, lying is bad. But my parents do not understand.

They can't understand why I am depressed, because half the time I don't know why I even am. I've been severely bullied online and in my school, I've been losing my friends left and right, and my parents need to get a divorce because their constant fighting makes me hate myself and everything even more.... but I never felt that I deserve to be depressed. I was looking through answers on here about similar things and all those other people have serious, good, solid reasons. (y'know, the whole rape or beating or parents who abused drugs and didn't care for them).

I mean, I don't want to continue burning myself, because I am seriously running out of areas that would go unnoticed. I already have to put make up on my fingers to hide the words I carved into the sides. And my hips, stomach, sholderblades, back of neck and thighs are a serious mess... I want to stop that, although the initiative seems to fade after about a week. And now I am ranting this to complete strangers....

TL;DR
I need to say I am going to a therapist or counselor and actually be somewhat honest. My parents have Kaiser and I've always been told that our insurance was pretty good. I also have a job so I could pay for the therapist on my own. But to be honest, I just want to be left alone about this. I thought if you told an authority figure like a teacher or something that they wouldn't go around trying to get your parents evolved. I'm almost 18 (4 months and 20 days left) and then I guess I could do whatever... I just can't have my parent's finding out and I want that stupid lady to leave me alone and stop trying to get me in trouble. T^T

Still too long... how do I proceed with something like this? I've heard that if I talked about it with my GP that it would take 3 months for me to go into the whole mental branch of Kaiser... and I have a feeling my teacher won't stop harassing me about this whole ordeal until I show proof of me going to something to help me with my depression and suicidal thoughts....

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:35 AM

As a teacher you are a mandatory reporter, so if she thinks you are going to seriously hurt yourself it is her job to report it to important people. This teacher obviously cares about you, I think you need to talk to her about your parents and the trouble that you're going through.
I was exactly the same at your age, I had chronic anxiety, depression and was bullied constantly. I wish i had reached out to a teacher who gave a $h**, then I may have been able to get better a lot quicker. Continue seeing the therapist, and be honest with the therapist and your teacher. Your parents obviously don't take the whole thing seriously so you need to surround yourself with people who do. If you're honest to people like your teacher about how your parents are around this whole scenario then she may stop telling them things, unless you're in danger of seriously hurting yourself. If you really want to get better, then a good therapist will help you with the issues, because its your way of thinking that causes these issues. Life can be completely different.

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:41 AM

One of my friends asked a teacher if it was possible to go see a therapist without his mother knowing and ended up in a psychiatric ward for months. He is suicidal and self harms as well, and I believe these situations are comparable.
I can guarantee that things work differently in my school, but not entirely so. After he confessed these things, they had him take a test that judged his mental stability. It was too low for him to function properly in our school system, so he was transported to a mental hospital and then went to a school that focused on the mental well-being of students as well as their education.
In this case, telling the teacher that he needed help was the first step to recovery. He's a long way from being fixed, but he's trying.
I understand that you think your parents don't understand at all, but you need to really talk to them about it. The thing about being depressed is that you don't necessarily have a reason to be sad - you just are. While you may not know why you feel that way, a therapist can get to the root of the problem, and essentially help you in the end. What you need to do is really talk to your parents and explain that it isn't just a temporary thing and that you aren't crazy. It's a serious problem that needs fixed.
I understand what you are going through, and I want you to know that you aren't alone. There are people that want to help you. That teacher wasn't trying to abandon your trust, they were doing what they were taught to do, and trying to help you.
03-24-2014, 10:43 AM

teachers, like any care-providing and mandated reports, are mandated to report about anything dealing with a students health or well being, she obviously cares about you, and she had to report it either way. you cant blame her for what is happening, you need to sit down with your parents and talk about it, don't be a pussy, get it over with and deal with life, don't feel sorry for yourself. you need mental help and the only way you can get it is going to a professional. and for god sakes. stop abusing yourself, its nuts the things people will do. if you didn't want help you wouldn't have told your teacher about it. you know you wanted help. don't lie to yourself about it. your cry for help actually could have gotten you help but you screwed it up. tell your parents your problems, demand to get some help, or go to a loved one and ask them. go to your school and tell the guidance counselor your situation. but don't blame your teacher for your parents lack of compassion and lack of caring nature. your teacher only wanted to help. its what you wanted and you got it. and then you lied and look where you are now. stop feeling sorry for yourself and take control.
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM

The point to seeing a therapist is to teach you coping skills so that you can cope with your negative emotions in a constructive way. You can tell your parents you are going to see family planning if you don't want to tell them what it's for. They will believe that.
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM

6 bedroom house is just material...

My Grandmom's house was burned down... because my Aunt sold
the house to drug addict people.

and our life will eventually change. so we need to learn to let go.

Your parents can't get along anymore.

You can start over... what is wrong with that?

Forget friends...
start studying, get a tutor to help you.

My math tutor helped me a lot... he was sooo helpful. Helped me get good grades

Stop feeling depress... get better.