This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is this guy really a bully?
03-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Is this guy really a bully?
I saw on facebook today that the report/video of the Wisconsin news anchor, Jennifer Livingston, who berated the "bully" who "called her fat" is still being shared as an inspirational story on social media. The account of this incident went viral over a year ago and seems to still be going strong.

When I first saw the video months ago I questioned the justification of Ms. Livingston's wrath. Kenneth Krause, the author of the critical email to Livingston obviously had a lapse of judgment, but doesn't come across as a genuine bully in my opinion. His approach was insensitive and uncharitable but I fail to see how his intentions can be so undoubtedly regarded as malicious. Contrary to many reports, at no point did he call Ms. Livingston fat or use what might be considered hateful words. What he wrote is as follows:

"Hi Jennifer,

It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle."

I'm going to assume that he tried (futilely) to choose his words with care to avoid offense. If this email was indeed intended to be mean spirited he might have instead written, "I'm was disgusted to see that you're still as fat as ever...in fact you're becoming more and more of a porker every year!" But he chose not to use such language. In further communication with the news station he confirmed that his motivation for sending the email was out of a concern for the health and well being of the people in his community. It is widely declared that obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the U.S. and affects not only health and mortality but also quality of life, especially for today's children and youth. I share in Krause's concern, if not his means of addressing that concern.

In Ms. Livingston's on-air response to Krause she refers to the email as an "attack" and "cruel". She accuses Krause of attacking her appearance even though he never mentions her appearance, instead referring only to her "physical condition". He does suggest indirectly that she is obese, but Linvingston herself admits in the video that she is "obese, on a doctor's chart". Near the end of the four minute segment Livingston directly labels Krause as a "bully" and more than a year later people all over the world are still hating him and applauding her for "putting him in his place".

So I have to wonder, has this man been unjustly reviled? Was the fierce backlash directed at him warranted? Does he deserve to be considered such a villain even more than a year after the fact? I'm not asking if those people who were directly affected by his (private?) email should be displeased with him. I'm asking if his email was so hateful that he in turn deserves to be hated by the entire world?

(Just a side question if you will. What if the email had been written by a young parent of little girls who's only concern was for her daughters' growing up in a society with such health problems? I invite you to reread the email imagining that it was written by a young mother. Do you still find it as disgusting?)

The link that was posted on facebook - http://blog.petflow.com/a-bully-called-t...ase-watch/

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:41 AM

I think it was rude, but not neccisarrily bullying. I just think it was extremely sexist, the man, pointed out she was overweight, and that it wasnt a good example for the younger kids, especially girls. Its as if he's saying its worse for a girl to be overweight than a boy, and I have high doubts that he would have sent the email if she was an oberweight man.

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Really? Why can't people ever find something new to talk about? I remember hearing about that on the radio when it happened.

I don't believe the man is a bully. Presumptuous and a little rude, but not a bully. I can understand some immediate backlash, but people seriously need to get over it. The email was certainly uncalled-for. For one, I don't understand what ever gave him the impression that there are any "young girls" out there who actually pay attention to this woman's morning show. For another, people aren't helpless. They have the ability to make healthy choices, despite what they see in the media, and it is the responsibility of all those young people's parents to guide them. Not a morning show host.

As for the second question - the email would still be just as needless. Like I said, parental responsibility. If you feel the need to write an email imploring the media to keep your kids from getting fat, perhaps someone should write YOU a letter.