This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help Deciding on College Classes/Future Careers?
03-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Help Deciding on College Classes/Future Careers?
Hello. I'll be going to College soon so I want to know what I should sign up for. I like video games, cartoons, anime, and manga. Here are things I want to see if I can make a job out of

I would like to create my own manga. I want to do the art and story by myself. I'm not a good artist but hey that's what College is for right? Right now I'm just looking at pictures online and drawing those. I took a drawing class but it was more realistic which is boring to me.

But if I create my own manga, I also have to be a good writer. So right now I think my writing skills are good but I'd like to be better.

I have a guitar but I've never taken a class on it so I was wondering if I could do that in college. I don't really know what I'm doing and the videos I've been watching aren't helpful. I need someone right in front of me.

I would like to create my own social media or become a popular YouTuber. I'm working on the YouTube thing right now. My channel is slowly creeping up to 700 subscribers and I'll probably reach it by the end of the year. So what class would I take for creating a website?

I would also like to see if any of these can be obtained without college.

So what I'm asking is basically if these careers involve a college class or would I have to learn by other means? Also what would be good/nice things to take in college? Sorry for typing so much. Thanks for your help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Melvin, The great things that you say about your choices confirms what I had already deduced when I started reading your question.

You will be living on an unemployment line or in a men's shelter later in your life. If you are lucky you can commit some small crimes and get sent for free room and boarding at a minimum security prison, just like Bernard Madoff.

Manga is not a career unless you are a creative person, which you admit you are not. Anime is another career that requires talent and not just doodles that you find online. What you are doing is called laziness.

If you cannot learn to play guitar, then you will still need to find something productive that you can be paid for and video game playing will not be that thing either.

So, for now, learn an easy profession like emptying trash cans, and cleaning bathrooms. Janitorial jobs are always available and maybe you can clean my office once you learn those skills.

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Well you should just stick to learning guitar as a hobby and be realistic and not pursue it as some sort of career option. There are people out there shredding the guitar and they've been doing it for years. Having said that, it's noble to try and learn it but let's not depend on that for income.

Becoming a youtuber is another thing that you can do on your free time but it's probably not that great of an idea to try to support yourself with. If one day you can make some money from it, awesome, but you may have to explore other career options for the time being.

Manga is another route where it doesn't sound like you are that adept enough at yet where you would depend on it for your survival. You should probably just go research job listings online and try to find some career path that appeals to you and something that would allow you to pursue your hobbies on the side and perhaps you can turn that into a side income in the future. Just browse lots of possible career paths and don't put too much pressure to commit to one too soon.

If you do want a career in arts or music, I would only encourage you if you where exceptionally good at. In other woods, you have been practicing for many years. If you do want to pursue the arts, prepare for the long hard road and don't expect to be great without years and years of dedicated practice.