This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Different from my peers, am I alone on this?
03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Different from my peers, am I alone on this?
Okay well to start off i'm a junior in high school. Most not if all of my peers are on social medias (Instagram, KIK, Ask.fm, Snapchat) that I honestly find all of them to be pointless. I mean I don't understand how all my classmates are on Instagram which is harshly a long chain of conceited savages who want likes and followers and for what? I also don't understand the point of alot of the girls falling in love within weeks with the boys at my school, having sex with them, being heartbroken not long after, all just to do it again with someone else. Maybe i'm just a prude but I honestly feel like i'm the only person left waiting to actually make love until marriage or atleast much later in life. I was literally talking to some of my friends about this and they actually said they were sad they haven't lost their virginity in high school yet because it can only be done and experienced once. I understand that everyone is interested in their own things and live their own lives. I have alot of friends who do the social media thing which is cool to interact and reach out to others (Facebook and Tumblr) but at the same time I feel like everyone is fastly growing into self-indulged douchebags who feel as if the world will stop revolving if they don't post a picture or tweet about their day.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Don't worry, you are fine. I'm only a few years older and I feel the same way. I only got FB at the end of my senior year to keep in touch with my classmates after we graduated. Guess what, I don't care about them. The people I like, I keep in touch with by seeing them in person. I can't stand FB statuses as if they are so important (they aren't even interesting). If it wasn't for keeping in touch with people from out of the country, I would've gotten rid of it ages ago. I waited until college for my "first time" as well. Nothing wrong with waiting for the right moment with the right guy. It CAN only happen once, so why waste it on a high school crush. You are clearly a smart and mature girl, so keep it up.

Ads

03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

No, I agree. Social media has it's uses, but I'm not too keen on most of them. I use Facebook and Twitter to get news/announcements on things that I like and keep up with my friends and family that I don't see regularly. I've never been into Snapchat or Instagram. If I really want to talk to someone, I prefer to meet them in person or call/text them. I'm 22 years old, but sometimes I feel like I'm 60 because I just don't understand why kids want to waste their time with that all that crap.

Like I said earlier, there are definitely some uses for all of these social media sites. But. they also allow people to become "self-indulged douchebags" and ultimately affect their sense of self-worth by completely relying on other people to value their thoughts and themselves.