This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is it about sushi that makes so much more "trendy" than other foods?
03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
What is it about sushi that makes so much more "trendy" than other foods?
It seems like people think they're cool for eating sushi judging by the fact it's a food that it seems they love to take pictures of and share with everybody on social media, etc.

What is it about sushi that makes it that way?

When did sushi become trendy in the United States?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:54 AM

Cause it's fish and fish is good

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:03 AM

It is a dish that has evolved into almost an artwork. It is a healthy choice is made properly, and it is unique in the sense that Japanese chefs take many ingredients that basically come from places that have no connections to Japan, like how the avocado has become a sushi staple even though it has never been near Japan. It is just a work of art in all ways.
03-24-2014, 11:04 AM

First, it's foreign. And it's Japanese, which seems more "inaccessible" since Japan is a somewhat mysterious country.

Another HUGE factor is the presentation of sushi. If sushi were all jumbled up like spaghetti, it wouldn't have the same status. However, sushi has all types of colors and shapes. And they make it shaped like dragons, centipedes, etc.

And since the fish is raw, it makes it seem that one is brave or adventurous for eating it.

I do love sushi though!
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

It's just something new to the average person. It's something that only the high society types got into like caviar etc back in the day. It's just now making main stream, so people are fascinated or should I say fixated on it. It's just the latest food craze. I remember back in the day....80's it was gross just to think about eating raw fish. I guess sushi is more than that though. Personally, I've never got into world cuisines, so I'm not well versed on it. I have to say though, it is interesting to look at, hence probably all the pics you're seeing.
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM

80s is when it got popular, I think, when the US and Japon got extra friendly in a business way.

Sushi is pretty and fun, has way more trivia that goes with it than most other foods, and on top of that it's both delicious and expensive. So blabbing about the sushi you had makes you think you're both well off and discriminating.....though we all know you're dirt poor and were at the cheap buffet, Sarah. No one on Facebook cares about your dragon roll.