This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do people have against 'made up' names?
03-24-2014, 10:50 AM
What do people have against 'made up' names?
Why are people so critical of modern or made up names for babies? Because if you think about it all names were at one point or another made up, and that was a very long time ago so surely it's about time that new names take the place of the old and outdated names?

I dislike stupid names though like 'La-a' or 'Hashtag'.

What's all your opinions on the new baby names which are being increasingly popular? Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM

farthead timothy

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Well some made up names are really pretty sounding but others are just tacky. And sometimes if you research... a name you thought you made up is actually a name in another language. I prefer traditional names with good meanings personally
03-24-2014, 11:01 AM

I, Yammanammakablamma, have nothing against made up names. I believe my family: Gretititititito, Zalabop, McStrepfret and Silpyslipgrip share my opinion.
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM

They claim they are ghetto, tacky, ugly and horrid. when in reality, they are scared of change amd new things. they think it is perfecty acceptable to have 5 ashleys in a class room, and a couple kids named barbara, gertrude and olga. ?????? they are stuck in a time long ago.
03-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Names have never been 'made up'. They were derived from other words to have certain meanings. Names like Jaylyn or Brinleigh are made up in the sense they are literally two sounds stuck together with no meaning whatsoever.
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM

First of all,it's not about what takes the place of old and outdated names. If Horseshoe takes the place of Charlotte,it doesn't mean Horseshoe is a good name for a baby. It's all about the class a name has.

If a celebrity or a famous teen mum names her baby Raelynn(random name I keep seeing of this site),this doesn't mean Raelynn is OK. Made up names have always existed: Jonpaul,Reginald ( Reinhold + Regina), Thomasina etc,but look behind them.They are the names of important humans and they certainly made up using two real names,instead of something like Rae( misspelling of Ray) + Lynn ( a surname) or Jayla-Hope.Most names were made using ancient words,which is another proof of the long usage of the name,not something like Brynnlee or McKaydin.

Some trendy names are fine.Aria,Alexa,Chloe are some examples of great modern names. Most trendy names seem to incline to lower-class edges like MaKenzie,Brooklyn etc. Again,not all trendy names are bad!

@ Rae
Olga,Barbara and Gertrude are very nice names. I know an Olga ( which isn't a modern name here) and she has never had any problem with her name.She could get along with her classmates with trendy names,old fashioned names and boring names. Wink
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM

It depends on what the made-up name sounds like.

Like you said, some modern names are just ridiculous (like La-a and Hashtag).

Some can be very confusing - like boy names on girls and using last names as first names. For example, I am a teacher, and there was a young man in my class with the name Tony Ellis. For a month I called him by what I thought was his first name...Tony. I tthen found out his first name was Ellis, and his LAST name was Toney. No wonder I could not find half of his files...he had two file folders in the computer as well as the file cabinet. I would never name a child Riley, MacKenzie, Bailey, Harper, Cooper (or any "profession" name).

Naming your child after objects just seems mean. Bear, Apple, Blanket, Willow, Colt, Wolf...these are all "things", not people. Next step would be to name your child "Toaster" or "Mousepad".

I also dislike crazy (or crayzee) spellings. Elizabeth is best, Elisabeth is acceptable, but Aliszebethe looks "messy". If I have to take a second look at the name, or sound it out, I would avoid it.

I have a cousin named "Leandra" (lee-ANN-dra). Growing up, she was the only person I knew with that name. Even though it sounded made up, it still was a pretty name. But think hard before giving your child that unique name.
03-24-2014, 11:26 AM

I think they're cool, and they really make the new born unique. I dislike the stupid ones too and you're practically ruining their lives if you're giving them a name like that La-a or Hashtag haha.
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

That people have to live with them for their entire life.

What I have against them _here_ is that there's a vast pack of children naming fantasy kids. Make up what the heck you like for that, but don't pretend that you are an adult naming a child.