This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why wasn't a sequel made for Master and Commandeer?
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM
why wasn't a sequel made for Master and Commandeer?
The original ended with unfinished business.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM

though very good movie, it was underrated. it didn't fair that well in the US, more globally, which is usually an indication of making a sequel

taken from Wikipedia:
Director Peter Weir, asked in 2005 if he would do a sequel, stated he thought it "most unlikely", and after disclaiming internet rumors to the contrary, stated "I think that while it did well...ish at the box office, it didn't generate that monstrous, rapid income that provokes a sequel."[10] In 2007 the film was included on a list of "13 Failed Attempts To Start Film Franchises" by The A.V. Club, noting that "...this surely stands as one of the most exciting opening salvos in nonexistent-series history, and the Aubrey-Maturin novels remain untapped cinematic ground."[11] In December 2010 Russell Crowe launched an appeal on Twitter to get the sequel made: "If you want a Master and Commander sequel I suggest you e-mail Tom Rothman at Fox and let him know your thoughts".

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:06 AM

It wasn't a financial success for the studio and didn't garner any big prestige awards like an Oscar to justify another installment.

Even though it earned critical praise, the film's box office numbers quickly dropped off after it's first week. The largest criticism from audiences was that despite the movie's impeccable acting and production values, it was too slowly paced and tedious; once word of mouth traveled that "Master and Commander is long and boring", that was the end for it's cash-making prospects.
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM

There is some hope, petitions, etc. Crowe asking for a sequel and I don't know why those eggheads in Hollywood won't make a sequel to this movie, so it wasn't a blockbuster to them, but I considered it one of the best films in a long time. There are rumors that Russell Crowe is in talks re: a sequel but that has been going on for a long time. I keep looking.
03-24-2014, 11:11 AM

I think it is because it did not do as well as expected at the box office. I think it is a terrific movie, and it is very under-rated. I own a DVD of it, and even gave one as a gift to a friend. It has a great storyline, good characters, great dialogue and action. The musical scoring is superb and the scenes were just well shot. Some people have a thing against Russell Crowe, their loss. It is a great movie and I would pay to see a sequel.