This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think learning history is a waste of time?
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Do you think learning history is a waste of time?
I am 20 and I am a history buff and a gamer and a common thing that I hear from people in their 60s is that playing video games is a waste of time. To me this really grinds my gears because I don't know how anyone can think this now a days. Growing up I always loved video games like Age of Empires and Civilizations and it has inspired me to learn more about History. I would like to know: is it a waste of time to learn about history? I spend hours and hours playing civ as well as reading wikipedia history articles

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Nawh

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:04 AM

I think it depends on the person who is either playing games or learning history.

You can find out anything you want to know about anything online, so it seems obsolete that people go to college to major in history and have this stuff embedded in their minds when it's at your fingertips. Also, really, it's not like history is relevant to most people's daily lives. However, if you enjoy learning history and you feel fulfilled when you do it and it makes you feel more connected to the past, then it's not a waste of time because you have intangible benefits.

Personally, I'm 19, and I think video games are dumb and a waste of time. On the other hand, if you have fun playing them, then it's not a waste of YOUR time because YOU feel what you are doing is valuable.

TL;DR: Different things are wastes of time to different people. Do what you want.
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM

No, we should not repeat faults that already happened once in history. History is very important, would you welcome if imperial Japan comes back and kills people all over Asia?
03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

If it entertains you, enlightens you, inspires you, how can it be bad, To be honest as human beings we really do not serve much purpose here on Earth. Out of desperation various animals might eat us but nutrionally speaking we're not all that great. So we strive yo find purpose, to make use of a life thrust upon us.
Studying and learning history opens and expands the mind. It feeds those gray cells, The next step is to turn that love into a career. If you want tpo go from gamer to creator of games you can use history as a building block for the future.

Nothing is a waste if you ultimately find a way to transform it into an element of your life that much like a LEGO block helps you to build and expand your life.

Oeace/////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\u
03-24-2014, 11:21 AM

never it is a very valuable tool of your time.
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM

No its definitely not a waste
03-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Of course not! History is how we got to where we are now, and it keeps us from making the same mistakes that have been made in the past (or, its supposed to, but history tends to repeat itself). I like history too, not necessarily American history, but I do like history. I prefer learning about Indians and Egyptians and such.
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM

What's a waste of time is worrying about what narrow-minded people say like the anti-gaming 60-year old.
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

AoE2 and Civ3 were some of my favorite games. I still play Europa Universalis games occasionally as well (if you have never heard of them, you might like them, but they have a large learning curve). I think each of these games, like you, has made me incredibly interested in history in general. I am more interested in European history, however. I think history is better than most works of fiction, if I am honest. The things that have happened, in peace and in war, are absolutely amazing. It would be shameful not to try and learn from it.

If video games got you interested in the history of our entire species, than it is certainly good. Especially when many in our generation care nothing for anything outside of social media, celebrity gossip, or sports.