This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What exactly does the # mark signify?
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM
What exactly does the # mark signify?
I've noticed the # sign used in texting, used in the media. What the heck is the purpose, significance or meaning of this sign when used?
Geez guys. Any idiot knows it's a number sign. If you'd read the question before you answered to get some easy points you'd notice I said "used in texting and the media." Every time social media entries using it are quoted, the phrase is usually, "blank, blank, hash tag, blank" What does it signify when prefacing a word or phrase? If it's merely to bring attention to what follows, that's plain stupid.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Well, originally, # was used to signify numbers. Now it is used as a reference toward something.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

It's a number sign. But it is used on websites to tag things. Like, twitter, they call it hash tag
03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

like many things.......they evolve and change, and take on other meanings.

Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth....it simply meant numbers..............like #3 .

But with the invention of computers , there are only so many Keys on a keyboard........and it took on another meaning......."Hashtag".

similar to @.....meaning "at" or who you are directing the message to, or receiving it from.

You can tweet me, at # Weasel McWeasel (Not really, as I do not have a Twitter account.)

But you could also write that as....Tweet me @ # Weasel