This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting ComputerScience in the Spring, Am i ready?
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Starting ComputerScience in the Spring, Am i ready?
Hi guys, so im starting Computer Science Bachelor's Degree at IUPUI in the spring.
I want to know basically the "professions" i can be once i earn my degree.
I also want to know if it's hard.
I'm very good with math, and right now i'm studying from a Calculus book at home.
Will it be hard? and Will the job market be open to me?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Computer Science isn't hard, but it definitely requires a very logical mindset. Programming and CS are very methodical and logic-oriented. However, I wouldn't say it's hard, just.. unique Smile

CS graduates basically go off and become computer scientists / software engineers / etc. For example, many big name software companies hire primarily CS graduates (e.g. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, etc). Video/computer game companies also need CS people to program the games. Other companies may focus on different aspects, but still require someone to do the programming and stuff; for instance, defense contractors (e.g. Raytheon) or airplane manufacturers (e.g. Boeing) and many other companies need CS people as well, even though their main product isn't software. CS salary and job market opportunities are at least on-par or better than the other engineering disciplines. In fact, CS and electrical/computer engineering share a huge amount of overlap.

As far as math is concerned, it's definitely important. Most CS curriculums will require introductory calculus (but not necessarily multivariate calculus or differential equations), linear algebra, a bit of probability/statistics, and a huge amount of discrete math. Most high schools don't teach discrete math, but it's the math that CS uses. It involves a lot of proofs and other stuff like that -- topics that fall under this category include combinatorics, graph theory, number theory, etc.

Overall, it's a fun major. Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply