This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why can some people open up facebook user pages who are not friends with the user?
10-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Why can some people open up facebook user pages who are not friends with the user?
I know some people who can open up some facebook users pages and they are not friends of the user. Is it because the users page is public? When I try to open it, it comes up private. I guess I could be blocked but there are still some who can open it and are not the users friend. Concerns me because I'm wondering now is my page private or not?!?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM

It must be a privacy setting issue. Check with Facebook, I am sure it is not a "glitch" that you found

Ads

because

I have come across this also, between me, my bf and my sister one or two of us can enter certain profiles whilst the other can't weird - maybe a fault

People have the option of allowing all users, users in the same network and friends of friends to see their profile. You probably can't see the page because you're not in their network. Check your privacy settings, if you don't want people to see your page change privacy options to "friends only".

because of the security settings they selected when creating their Facebook account

On FB, there's the settings tab, located near the search bar on the upper-right-hand-corner. Click on it, and you'll see a little link called "privacy settings". Set your privacy settings to that which you prefer seeing. Some people either A, don't know how to do this, or B, don't care about privacy settings, so therefore their profiles are set to an automatic public setting.

Either that, or the profiles you are going to can only be seen by "friends of friends", and your friend is well, trying not to be confusing here, but a friend of a friend that... is friends with that person. You know what I mean?

You -> Your buddy -> You're buddy's friend -> That other profile.

^^Hopefully that helps.

-Thee

Maybe there's an option, if the user is registered in groups, the members of his group can view it (for example there might be an option like "allow only users in my groups to see my profile")...I don't know if this is for facebook too, but for other applications it exists.

There are a lot of variables contributing to whether or not you can view someone's facebook page. Basically, their privacy settings are what determine this and can determine who YOU want to see your page. If your friends are in the same network as them (based on region or school), then their privacy settings can allow them to see it even if they are not friends.

You can limit who sees your profile to your network, your friends, your friends-of-friends, everyone or everyone except for a list of people you don't particularly like :-)

This is found in the upper right hand corner under settings>privacy settings.

HTH.

Usually because one of yor friends is tagged or wrote something to that person