This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Was my punishment an overeaction?
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Was my punishment an overeaction?
Before I start, my father has told me not to post bad things on Facebook so here goes :I posted a thing on my Facebook about a video game and tagged my friends. Now I wasn't trying to harm or threaten anyone but my uncle called up my dad and told him I was threatening people in the picture. (I swear,No threat was made and no one commented on it about any threat and I even showed my father the post.) My uncle then proceeded to call the police and I told them that it was from a video game called Battlefield 4 and I could see how people who didn't know the game could see it as threatening, but I reassured them that I wasn't threatening anyone and I even showed them the post. They told me they where just making sure I meant no harm and they clearly saw no threat so they told me that I was off the hook and no further law enforcement action would be taken. Now here is where i gets bad: My dad took away my xbox, phone, and cut off social activities (youth group, hanging with my friends, etc.) for a year. I know he told me not to post anything bad, and I didn't mean for it to be bad like it was perceived. I tried to talk to him about the punishment being about a month or so because I meant no harm and I wrote an apology to my uncle but he said "Hell no, you are not allowed to have any privileges for a whole year and you are not allowed to have your permit." ( Yes, I'm 15 and I was wrapping up drivers ed) Is this an over reaction and how should I approach my dad about it? I clearly think this an unjust punishment.
Link to the picture I posted: https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7604386560/h73F96C59/
Sorry for the repost, I just felt that it was not written well and I left out some details.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Oh good grief.....Im sorry hon, your dad and uncle need to get lives........I wouldnt have punished you AT ALL for that post, nor any other that involves a meme about COD......its COD for petes sake, what do they expect? Surely most of the planet knows that COD is a video game that involves war and soldiers and scenarios involving zombies apocalypses?........My 17 year old daughter is a COD fan......hubby and I play every now and then with her, I find it too noisy most of the time, but it is what it is and there was nothing bad in what you posted.

Just to clarify, Im a 45 year old mum........

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

You said that people who don't know the game could see it as threatening, and unfortunately that's how your Uncle saw it, and reported it. I suppose your Dad looked to and saw it that way. Just be very careful about what you put on facebook in future, unless you can send a private message to a friend. [Don't block your elders on facebook though, as they will become more suspicious.]

Maybe the people you tagged could speak up for you, and let your Dad know that they don't consider remarks to do with games offensive?
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM

oh wow sheesh
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM

I think it's wrong to be held responsible for how others react to or interpret what you post. There was no malice intended. The police understood that. Your dad is wrong. I usually don't say that. He is totally out-of-line in this case.
03-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Yes it was.
Sue them.
03-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Yes, it was. There was really no reason to act like that.
03-24-2014, 11:43 AM

I would've punished you by buying you COD:Ghosts and taking away all other video games.