This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it a bad idea to use my work laptop for home browsing?
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Is it a bad idea to use my work laptop for home browsing?
I know people say you should keep work and home separate for mental health, but is it bad to use my work laptop at home for browsing?

I would only be browsing news, blogs, social media so nothing adult that work would object to.

I know they have nothing against us using laptops for personal use so it isn't an issue.

My dilemma is that my own personal laptop isn't as powerful as my work laptop, It sometimes struggles when browsing but is normally ok but I don't fancy buying a new laptop yet because I'd spend at least a grand.

Any advise from personal experience?

Thanks!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Do you have to bring the computer into work periodically to service it? If yes, then I wouldn't do it because they can look at your browsing history and realize you've used it for personal browsing unrelated to work. If you never have to bring the computer in, then just be cautious to not download any viruses and spywares that might slow it down, and you should be okay.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:12 AM

It seems to me that if the company you work for has nothing against you using it at home, and you don't do anything on it that you wouldn't want everyone at work knowing about... then I don't see any reason why it would be a bad idea.