This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why is my computer slow on the internet?
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM
why is my computer slow on the internet?
I had updated my laptop to windows 8 awhile and I feel like it started to slow down from there. I always go on youtube, facebook, tv channels websites and etc. It's not my internet connect because I had it for a long time. It lags on videos badly, unless I load or been watching to much... It's very annoying. If I downgraded to window 7 would it stop lagging? I never liked windows 8.
I did run a Virus scan on my computer and it said there isn't a one...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Based on the little bit of actual information given, you most likely have some type of computer virus that is causing the lagging. Downgrading most likely will not help your situation.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Windows 8 has all sorts of issues. You try upgrading to Windows 8.1 or downgrading to Windows 7. I prefer Windows 7 too.
BTW, are you having a lot of extensions and add-ins for your browser. It may affect the speed too.
Run a virus scan for your whole computer.
03-24-2014, 11:22 AM

maybe it will be better if u downgrade it to win7, but if that dosen't work, downgrade it to Win XP, becuse it's the best !
03-24-2014, 11:31 AM

windows 7 is outstanding compare to Windows 8 but it still wouldn't help much because regardless what version of Windows you are using as longs as its running on an NTFS file system the hard disk gets very easily fragmented and slow in matter of months if you don't de-fragment your hard disk regularly!
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Is it a wireless connection? If so, have you tried connecting it with an ethernet cable and see if that might make a difference? It might. Try that then run a speedtest @ speedtest.net - results. Is your download speed atleast 80% of what you are paying for? If not or are not sure, call your internet service provider.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7 would not be on top of my troubleshooting list.
03-24-2014, 11:43 AM

If you want to improve your network speed, there are some aspects to share you.
Check for background activity.
Sometimes, when your Internet connection seems unusually slow, it's just because something else is using part of your connection in the background. Find your browser's download manager and ensure no files are downloading, then check to see what other programs are running, and check each one of them to be sure it isn't hogging your connection. If someone left a torrent running and neglected to tell you, that could very well be the source of your slowdown.
Check to see if system update or scan programs are running, too. Often, these programs slow your whole computer down, but the effect is only temporary. Once they finish maintaining your computer, things will go back to normal.
To check which programs are running in Windows, type Control-Shift-Escape. A list of all active programs will appear. On a Mac, go to the Applications folder, and then the Utilities folder inside that. Open the utility called Activity Monitor for detailed reports on programs, memory usage, and more.
Tone down effects.
One of the simplest ways to speed up modern computers is to disable some or all of the many fancy visual effects they apply to various actions. By turning these off, you give the computer more power to put towards opening web pages, and less for making files appear to spin or unfold when you open them.
In Windows, these options can normally be found in the System control panel, under Advanced System Settings. To find the right panel quickly, use the Start Menu to search for “System properties,” open the icon that appears, and click the Advanced tab. In the box titled Performance, click the Settings button to select or deselect visual options.
Macintosh computers utilize a whole host of visual effects. Some of these can be controlled easily; others require specialized software to disable. There is a lot of good information online about the specifics of these programs and what they do, but for starters, you can turn off Dock effects by going to the Apple menu and selecting System Preferences. From there, select Dock, and select “scale effect,” then deselect “Animate opening applications.”
Update your browser.
Over time, Internet browsers get replaced with newer iterations and become obsolete. If you continue to use an old version of a browser, you'll eventually begin to notice that your Internet seems slower, since the old browser isn't equipped to handle new content. Solve the problem by updating to a current browser. The three most popular are Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Install the latest version of one of them and prepare to be amazed at the jump in performance you see.
To download the latest version of Internet Explorer, go here.
To download the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, go here.
To download the latest version of Google Chrome, go here.
Check for adware. Adware and spyware are programs that are free to install, but almost impossible to uninstall once you've made the mistake of doing so. They can range from mildly irritating to seriously invasive of your privacy, and they almost invariably hog your bandwidth, slowing down your Internet connection. To get rid of them, install a program designed specifically for the task.
The best way to avoid most adware in the future is to never agree to download anything other than what you're trying to download, even if it seems like the file you wan't won't download without the adware attached. No reputable site will force you to install a “toolbar” or any other extra program as part of a legal file download.
Destroy adware. Windows users generally rely on a free program called Spybot Search & Destroy; Mac users can use MacScan, but will have to pay a small licensing fee of $39.99 if they want to use it for more than a month. Whichever you choose, download the program, install it, and run it to find, catalog, and delete the offending programs from your computer. Once you have the programs, their steps are very straightforward.
Get rid of viruses.
Viruses, worms, and other more directly harmful computer problems are best handled by a powerful antivirus program. Viruses and their ilk don't often contribute directly to a slower Internet connection, but they should always be prevented whenever possible and purged as soon as they sneak onto your computer. To check for and contain viruses, download an antivirus program and install it, then run it immediately.
You don't always have to pay for quality. Some of the world's best antivirus programs are actually free for home use. Windows users can download Avast! Antivirus or AVG for free; Mac users can download Sophos, a Mac-native antivirus program. All of these programs are clean, legitimate, and widely used.
Allow your antivirus program to run continuously in the background. It will catch threats you didn't see coming – sometimes more often than you might suspect.
Free up space. Sometimes, an older or smaller computer will begin to slow down due to the sheer amount of temporary Internet data or extra programs and files it's accrued over the years. This generally isn't a problem for any computer made in the last several years, but it never hurts to do a little spring cleaning. Start by deleting your temporary Internet data. This is usually pretty simple; guides for whatever browser you use can be found with a quick Google search. Afterward, go through your programs and remove those you no longer use or want.
Mac users can simply scan through the Applications folder and drag unwanted programs to the Trash. (Be sure to empty the Trash when you're finished). Windows users should go to the Control Panel and find the Programs panel (also called Add/Remove Programs, or Programs and Features, depending on your edition of Windows), and remove programs from there by highlighting unwanted items and clicking “Uninstall.”
03-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Media files could be clogging up your cache's. Try downloading Ccleaner (link below), installing, and running it on default settings.