This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have you ever called in a guns serial # to have it checked by the NCIC system to see if it was stolen?
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Have you ever called in a guns serial # to have it checked by the NCIC system to see if it was stolen?
I remember reading somewhere that a cop can't check the NCIC system to see if a gun is stolen unless the gun is in his hands because if it comes back as stolen, he has to take it into custody. I may be wrong. Anyway, some guy traded his Baby Eagle for a stolen Glock and was letting everyone in our Facebook group to beware of the other guy who he traded with (he deleted his account and used false information for the private purchase).

A few folks commented saying that they "always" call in a guns serial numbers prior to purchase. It sounds like manure cultivated from a male cows posterior... I would call my local PD but I wouldn't know if they are giving me the procedure that they practice or the procedure that they are supposed to practice.

I asked this question in the law enforcement section too. I want answers from the gun owners and the LEOs points of view.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM

They can't call in a gun's number. Now if you know the right person it's possible for them to check a number. My best friend had a neighbour that worked for one of the federal letter agency's. He ran a number on a gun for me that I had doubts about. I did tell him that I would turn the gun over to him if something came back wrong. I told him how I acquired the gun(it was given to me) and would gladly turn it over to him as I don't mess with stolen stuff. Happily it came back clean. Also I believe your correct about the police not being able to run a number unless they actually have the gun in their possession.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:16 AM

An individual citizen has NO ACCESS to the NCIC database. They cannot call in a number. Whomever is saying they have been is a liar, plain and simple.
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Don't know about the States but here, if I'm buying a gun privately, I will need to show my PAL and see his. If the gun is Restricted, then we have to call the CFC and give them all the gun's particulars and our PAL numbers....then wait for the paperwork to arrive...( a week or two, depending ) before taking possession.
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM

the police are usually tickled when citizens help them do their jobs. im pretty confident that if you called the police station and asked them how you go about making sure a gun isn't stolen that they could help. I imagine the procedure isn't much different than it is with cars. citizens can call and report stolen property, I don't see why they couldn't call the police to turn in stolen property.
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

I have not, but my brother did check, through a Texas Sheriff's office, to see if a rifle he was going to buy was stolen. He thought the price was too good to be true, the gun was clean, just sold by someone who wanted to get rid of it.
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM

In order for the serial to be in the database, someone has to report to the police that it's missing, right? From what I understand, MOST people do not report that their gun is stolen. I believe after the whole 2012 mass panic, some states were proposing that it would be a felony to not report a gun stolen.

In my current state, we have a legislation proposed this year where a FFL dealer can optionally check if a gun is stolen before buying it as part of their background check in consignment sales.

However, I have sold a pistol last year on armslist and on a local state forum for firearm advertisement. I had several folks sending me messages asking if they can check if it was stolen or not. I asked how they go about the procedure and they said they didn't know. I told them I am not comfortable in doing business with them if they didn't know how to purchase a firearm. I checked over my local state law and see that the only requirement I have as a private seller is to make sure they're over 21 and that I do not believe (in reason) that they are unable to acquire a firearm by checking for a state issued license and a voters card or CHP license. One person who bought my gun stated he would like to see my original receipt that I had to which I felt was a reasonable request and brought the receipt for him to see that I was the first and only owner of the pistol.

So I think people who say they want to check if the gun is stolen are either idiots who watches too much TV and decided to go online to buy their first gun (to which I would not feel comfortable in selling to anyway) OR just people who don't know or want to buy a firearm but have no idea how to do it. I would not sell a firearm to someone who wants to "check if it's been stolen by some unknown agency that I have no idea" because it would tell me that it's their first firearm (I value and care for my gun and wish to sell it to folks who will equally enjoy and take care of it) and I would not feel comfortable knowing that they would either abuse it or not handle it poorly and injure/hurt someone else.
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Twice I have been out in the middle of nowhere with several rifles - AR's and bolt guns - set up for long distance shooting and an Alaska State Trooper has happened by in a 4x4 or ATV. They have politely asked me if they can call in the serial number - I have agreed in the past....... but when you read below I will not be saying yes in the future. One guy called them in on his radio - other guy wrote them down because we were well out of radio + cell range.

I meet a man who bought is his son a brand new 22 rifle in a local store for his birthday. 7 years later the kid is entering the US at Washington state border crossing and he has the 22 - and the number comes back as stolen. They confiscated it. Dad - still had the original bill of sale - but the state of Washington says that is not enough. Unfortunately, the store they bought it from had closed and they have no access to the original 4473 form. This happened 5 years ago to them...... what dad has learned in this time, is the US General Accounting Office has claimed the NCIS data base of stolen firearms has at least 20% corrupted information....... mostly serial numbers entered wrong.

When people ask about running a gun's serial number - I tell them to put the make and model on a piece of paper and walk into the local police station and ask them to run it. Usuaually early in the morning when they are not busy. I also tell them to never, ever, bring the gun with them or leave it in the car. This way if it does pop back as possibly stolen they don't loose it. Last thing you want is to walk into a cop shop with a gun you have not bought yet - have them take it, now you are in court trying to defend yourself against not paying for it. Yeah - this is a headache we can all do without!
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Q: "Have you ever called in a guns serial # to have it checked by the NCIC system to see if it was stolen?"
A: By purchasing from reputable FFL firearms dealers, I have never felt the need to do so.
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

You call it in to the non emergency number to your local PD, which should go to their Dispatch/Communications center. They sometimes can (depending upon the agency) run the SN right there and tell you if it's stolen. I do not know if they run it through NCIC specifically or not, but they run it through something. If they tell you they "don't do that", make note of the time you called and the operator number if possible so that if it does come up stolen, you can prove Due Diligence. I have only had that problem once. Every other police agency I have contacted has been very helpful and has verified the firearm was not listed as stolen. I don't know who they got their data from, but I made note of who I called, when, and the operator number of who I talked to. That, and the Communications/Dispatch lines are recorded. In court, if you can prove due diligence, you can decrease your personal liability significantly.

If I am making a private purchase, I have absolutely no problem calling the gun in right in front of the seller. If he gets squirrelly, that's a pretty good indicator to me the situation is not kosher and then corrective action must be taken. In my line of work, that's what we call "a clue".

Edit: @CTM: You can indeed call it in to the local PD dispatch. This is fact. Whether or not they choose to help you is up to them or departmental policy. But most Dispatches/Comm centers do have that capability. I know this because I myself have done it. Not once, or twice, but as a matter of habit over a decade in multiple jurisdictions.