This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Public domain issue for graphic design project?
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Public domain issue for graphic design project?
I need to use facebook and twitter logos in one of my projects, along with a QR code I created. The project guidelines say everything must be public domain, but I don't know whether I'm following that or not. Please help.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Public Domain essential means usage without licensing or copyright. Meaning, any images, text, or references to works need to be under these categories. If it is a project, then I'm assuming you are allowed to use sources from the web, even copy written. As long as you do not reproduce these items to be sold or distributed, your fine.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Of course trademarked logos are not in the public domain.

Just because you're not making a profit, it is not "fine" to use such work. If the guidelines specifically prohibit such things, you must not use them.

Simply manufacture "fake" logos which vaguely resemble them, with the explanation that these logos represent links to common social networking features, such as twitter and facebook.
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM

This is for Twitter

https://about.twitter.com/press/brand-assets

Although the logo is not in the public domain you are permitted (encouraged) to use the logo to represent a Twitter account.

Even if you were using this for commercial purposes you will not be infringing copyright to use it.

In fact creating "fake" logos is more likely to create problems for yourself.