This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gifts to put in a 'Culture Swap Box'?
10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Gifts to put in a 'Culture Swap Box'?
I'm friends with someone who lives in America (i'm from England) and we originally met over the internet when were 18, so we've been friends for about 6 years now. She admin's on a Facebook page and she heard of something called a 'Culture Swap Box' which is where two people from different countries send each other gifts that are unique to the countries they are from, i.e. sweets, pictures etc. and we both thought it would be a good idea for something the two of us could do.

However, except a few sweets that you can't get in America, I'm at a loss as to what I can send her!! I'd love some ideas as too what things you can get in England that you can't get in America, help would be much appreciated!!!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Sweets/food: wine gums, rainbow drops, jelly tots, sherbet lemons, Cadbury's chocolate, Hula Hoops, Marmite.

You could send some British magazines or a newspaper - it could be something related to what they're interested in (British Vogue if they like fashion) or something everyday and kind of trashy like The Sun or the Big Issue. You could also send CD of a band that you like that's not popular in the US or make your own CD. DVDs and box sets of British TV shows could be good but make sure they'd work for Region 1.
If you live near a big city maybe nip into a gift shop and get some little tourist-y bits and bobs.
Send pictures of yourself, your street, your school, buses, your high street, just random things that are part of your routine and that seem normal to you, as well as any cultural spots or tourist attractions near where you live.

Oh, and you could see if you could post some Christmas crackers as I don't think they have those in the US Smile

Ads

10-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Well, do a bunch of sweets first like,
Army & Navy, Mums and Dads, Fox's Glacier Mints Dark, Victory V's, Fisherman's Friends and Little Imps.
As I assume the box is meant to be quite small, add in creative little details such as Key Chains, Mini Candles and that sort of thing.
The idea is really inspiriational and out of question, what Facebook page does she admin? For example, if it's a Harry Potter related page you could send related gifts!
Have fun and hope I helped x
Lily x