This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Convince my parents I DON'T want a smartphone?
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Convince my parents I DON'T want a smartphone?
So my whole family has iPhones and I'm the only one still holding on to a relatively "dumb", 5yrs old, Samsung feature phone. I'm going off to college next year and my parents insist on me getting an iPhone, supposedly so they can find out where I am using the "Find friends" service.

I don't mind my parents knowing where I am (I'll be far away from home anyway) but I'm not keen on splurging $$$ on an iPhone and data plan that I'll never use for anything except making calls.

I'm a very weird 17 year old, I don't text or Instagram or use streaming-music or have random urges to go online, so my dumb phone serves me well. This is because I actually had an iPhone at one point and it distracted me so much at school that my grades went down and it literally damaged my social life AND my eyesight.

Since then I have refused to even consider touching an iPhone and strangely my parents aren't very pleased with that. I might be the only teenager in the world who would fight with the parents not to get an iPhone, not the other way around.

They don't understand me, how do I convince them?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Well, please don't say that you're weird! You're different and honestly, it's great that you are doing this. It's actually amazing so I would like to applaud you for keeping your distance from technology but texting is easy though so I'd disagree on that. Also, instagram and facebook is good because they keep you in touch with people who will be away from you when you go to college or even further than that. I moved like 12 times and many times out of the country and I'm 22 now and facebook and instagram is great for that purpose, trust me so do get into it! It's fun!!

Well, tell them that it is a distraction and that it will re-introduce your stresses of looking over at your smartphone!! But I must say....it is good to keep you in close arms with your parents because something may happen. I know, it's SUPER annoying for parents to be all over you....especially from "find friends" so they can know where you are...UGH. That's annoying!! Tell them you'll give numbers of your friends and if they need you when you dont answer your phone, to call them. As far as knowing where you are exactly....well....meh, kinda hard!

Youll eventually go to a smart phone because it is useful no matter what you say!

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Well I'd certainly never fight my parents not to get me and iPhone cause there against smartphones, but I'd never want one anyway, like you said they just distract you from real life.
just sit them down, and politely explain that you don't want the electronic attachment taking away from your life and your grades Big Grin