This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how to start parkour/free running where i live?
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
how to start parkour/free running where i live?
I'm 15 and want to start parkour/free running but there's not a lot of places to do it where I live (I live in a suburban/ farming town. there are woods but they are about 5 miles away and by the time I run there I'm tired.

Also I heard about local groups of people that free run and do parkour together to encourage and teach each im not on facebook so how could I join these
thanks to all who answer.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Hey man what's up, I always love helping out new people to Parkour and I hope your current situations doesn't discourage you from starting. I know how you feel, I grew up in a town just like that. Suburban area, woods but hard to get to, no groups, nothing. Just me. And guess what? That's all you need. I've been doing parkour for almost 3 years now and am actually planning out my first Jam for the area. All you need for parkour is your body and with a little direction you'll be on the right track.

After answering so many question on this site about starting I just decided to make my own website to help people along. It's not even close to being finished yet but I think you could benefit from the little content that's there. You can check it out @ parkourelements.webs.com

Before you start I should tell you that while all you need to do parkour is your body you will always have to adapt. Sure, your current situation isn't perfect but realize that even if you lived in a big city it wouldn't be perfect either. Your progression isn't defined by how many moves you can do. It's defined by your perception of them. A man once told me that learning a skill but never having the opportunity to use it is far better than having an opportunity but not having the skill. There is always an obstacle ahead. Sometimes it just takes time to see it.

Also as far as groups go I think the best advice I can give you is to just do as much research online to see if there's any in your area. But while your at it you should totally check out some people that helped me along the way. Team Tempest, Parkour Generations, Parkour Visions, Fifth-ape (Colin Pistel), Kyle "EPIC" Mendoza, to name a few.

Hope I helped and hey, if you have any more questions I'm always willing to help. You can contact me directly through e mail which you can get on my site under the Contact Us tab. Train safe!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply