This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it possible to know my sexuality in...?
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Is it possible to know my sexuality in...?
the small amount of personal info on my Facebook? I ask because Facebook keeps running banner advertisements on the side of my profile for gay dating websites. Today I was editing my page and it had a want ad for male dancers! Does it know?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM

idk b/c on my myspace, there are LOTS of ads for Puerto Rico and i'm puerto rican so i find that quite strange...

someone somewhere is stalking us!! O_O

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

I think that the only way they might know your sexuality is if you post something about it on your profile. Don't worry much about the ads because websites usually place codes in their website's coding to support random ads, so the gay ads may be a coinsidence.
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM

It tracks your search history and displays ads based on what it thinks you may be interested in,
03-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Seriously! facebook and myspace know all. I put in my movies section that I liked The Wonder Years and now I see ads for The Wonder Years on dvd. It's creepy.
03-24-2014, 11:49 AM

I think Big Brother is watching and knows all!

Say, if you answer that ad and dance for us, can I tug your udder, big boy? *wink wink*
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

I think they must analyse your search subjects, or something like that.
03-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Ahahah it depends on what you write I'm sure if its like hey what's up I'm john doe I like blab blablaa but if it has something... colorful then maybee
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Facebook keeps track of the things you do on the internet so they can personalize the ads shown on your page. My professor was telling me this the other day because we have an essay to write about Facebook and if it's causing major problems in the college scene. Apparently, when we sign up for Facebook, we agree to a lot of things that we don't even really know about (because most don't read the agreement). Hope this helps.
03-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Hi, Moo. I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. Facebook's computers are serving ads based largely on your own site visits. The computers know, but nobody else is looking or monitoring it. Your personal site visit list can be extracted by Facebook personnel, but nobody's really interested. They need not know who you are; you're simply one of a gazillion images and links traded online.