This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Easy 10 Points for an easy question?
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Easy 10 Points for an easy question?
ok so a few days ago someone made a fake facebook account of me for the second time in a year. The first time they just edited pictures of me and put makeup on my face. (I am a man). I filed a police report but didnt think too much about it. This time they made it under my name and they are talking about my brothers wife (I dont talk to my brother and she is the reason why) and saying that she is dead even though she is not so I filed another police report. Now her family members who think I made the account are threatening me (they are not in America while I am). I reported the account 3 or 4 times on facebook and they have still not replied. I sent them emails telling them I would get a notarized statement and whatever else they wanted but I just want to know who did it. I also emailed the Chief of police in my area and he replied once telling me he was sorry and asking for the police report number. I gave him it 2 days ago and he didnt reply since. I sent him another email this morning and he still did not reply. What else can I do? Do you think they will eventually tell me who made the account? Thanks
Ok I have already created an account and added them and they have accepted me. I tried to send them a link that will trace their ip as soon as they opened it and I disguised it by shortening it so is looks like bit.ly.604 or something like that. They did not open it. I believe his wife is doing this to get us in a fight because she has nothing to do all day. If I am correct than she has no idea what she is doing with computers to find a proxy server and do that kind of stuff. How would I find their ip using command prompt though?
Yes I posted this question about 7 times so you might run into it again haha.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Here is a good guide: http://cyberprototype.wordpress.com/2012...-facebook/
You get many addresses from facebook servers. Track all down and rule facebook's out.
Probably not, I suggest you create an account (under whatever name) and 'chat' with the fake account when they are online. Your computer keeps a record of interactions with other computers. Using your computer's command prompt, you can find the IP address of the computer using that account. Then, track the IP address as fast as you can, because, unless it is static, it will change. If they are using a public computer, it will be hard to know who did it, although you could request a warrant to see who was using the computer at the specific time you were chatting through the bussiness's records or camera recordings. If the IP address is a private home, there's your answer. However, if they were using a proxy or a good torrent, it will be hard to find the ip address at all.
Best of luck.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Arrests are public record so, if the account holder is arrested, you'll know who it is. Otherwise, the police don't want to participate in a feud so they're not going to let you know. Your local police, if need be, will involve the FBI (the internet is interstate). You've reported the problem but you won't be kept informed about what's being done. It's maddening but that's how these things are done.

You've already got a narrow suspect list. Unless you talk about your private business to everyone in town, it has to be someone close to you who knows your family history.

Personally, I'd do what every lawyer on the face of the earth would tell you to never do: I'd go the fake account and post that I've retained a lawyer. You really should consider having a consultation with an attorney. Libel (defamation of character) is the basis for many civil suits.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionar...nd+Slander
Pay attention to the 4 points in the third paragraph.
03-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Since you posted the same question twice, I posted a better answer on the other question.
Pretty much, you should get LifeLock, an identity protection service that really does a great job cleaning this stuff up.