This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is police brutality getting worse, with more incidents,?
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Is police brutality getting worse, with more incidents,?
or do we just learn about more of the incidents because of cell phone videos and social media?

And is this the reason we are in danger of losing "net neutrality", because we are more informed?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:41 AM

I have heard, but not researched myself, that there used to be 3,000 home invasions by police looking for criminals or evidence each year. More recently that number has jumped to 85,000 a year. That's scary!

There are stories the SWAT teams do raids looking for people behind on college loans, too.

I don't know if police are more violent toward the public other than the SWAT teams, but the country is militarizing our police.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:49 AM

I think so - but it sounds more steps from the past, like the days before the Miranda warnings, pre-1966. There was a time when police were even more brutal than they are now, and then things settled all down for awhile, but it seems to me that it's come full circle and that brutality is coming back with a vengeance. I have a brother-in-law who was a cop, and three uncles, and I loved them, they were good cops. But today, I'd be scared for my life. I got stopped just two years ago, for speeding and I tried to step out of the car to ask a question because it was too noisy and he pulled his gun on me, scared me half to death. I think they have more reason to be fearful, but I also think that the violence is getting out of control. Not only with cops, but look at school kids, and mass shootings in malls and public areas - violence is escalating everywhere. Just the other day a girl got beat to death for photobombing a group of girls - what the hell is going on is what I can't help but ask. So, yes, brutality is getting worse - everywhere, and police too.

Edit: Mr. Police Officer below - and why should I fear for my life in a traffic stop. No one said I shouldn't get out of my car, I had a question and the traffic was so loud I tried to step out so I could talk to the officer. I had no effing idea he would pull a gun. And I'd been completely respectful until then - he had no reason to fear me, why was he so on the defensive. That's t he point I make, that he leaped to the conclusion first - that's the problem, there's too much violence - against him and by them. They assume everyone is going to assault them and they overreact.
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Because of many cell phones and social media you hear and watch incidents more now. With cameras being everywhere, and police required to have cameras on their dashboard, Police brutality has significantly decreased prior to how it was.

As for the lady who got out of her car, how is the police officer to know why you are getting out of your car? How is he suppose to know you are going to ask a question and not pull a gun? If that sounds ridiculous to you then please educate yourself on the epidemic of mass shootings this country is facing right now then put yourself in the position of a police officer.

Isabel, you miss the point, law enforcement deal with the very worst of society. That is our job. We do not like surprises, and an individual stepping out of the car (I'm sure you're a sweetheart) will result in any police officer questioning the motives. You can be the biggest marshmallow except how is the police officer suppose to know that?
03-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Actually fewer "incidents" since cops have been recording encounters.
The vast majority who would have filed complaints before decide not to once they see the police have the actual, unedited, incident on video.
BUT you do see lots more examples on the net, be it youtube or other places. Everyone has a camera and the few legit cases, plus a lot where the vid has been edited by those with an agenda, get lots of exposure that was not possible in the days before ubiquitous recorders and the open net.

Do you really think that the corporations who are the ones who wish to limit access because it cuts into their profits, are going to use their power to stop information about police or other government officials. The only thing they will stop is info on their abuses, which are greater and more costly than any government organization in the US
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM

It is getting worse and will continue to do so.
03-24-2014, 12:19 PM

If you take the time to research real numbers from DOJ (not Youtube) you will likely find that 0110 is right. Besides, much of this reported "brutality" is the cops using justifiable force. I pay taxes, and I want the police to arrest criminals. If crooks resist, I am glad that the cops tune them up. Even from the anti-cop point of view, you don't hear any stories about the cops stopping some cooperative, middle class, suburban guy and whupping on him, do you?

Now, one nitiwit told you, "I have heard, but not researched myself, that there used to be 3,000 home invasions by police looking for criminals or evidence each year. More recently that number has jumped to 85,000 a year. That's scary" Well those "home invasions" are the cops arresting people who sell drugs, buy and sell stolen hoods, commit rovveries and burglaries, commit murder and rape and so fiorth. If you are on the side of all thiose criminals,you got a lot of balls talking about police brutality. Don't forget, us grown up tax payers want the cops to fight crime, whether the crooks like it or not..
03-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Keep in mind there are 1 million police officers in the USA. These officers make 3.8 billion contacts with citizens every year. While some officers many use excessive force the % is minuscule compared with all 3.8 billion contacts.

To survive police tactics must be brutal and allow for the quick capture of the suspect being arrested. The brutal tactics are not legally authorized if the suspect obeys the verbal commands quickly.