This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I can't handle my boyfriend's autism? (please don't answer if you have no idea what autism is)?
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I can't handle my boyfriend's autism? (please don't answer if you have no idea what autism is)?
This is probably going to be quite long but please bare with me. This situation has been going on for a while now and I'm just stuck. I'm ready to go.

We've been dating since the 16th September 2013 (it's the 8th of February 2014) and for the first few months everything went great until about a couple of months ago. He says I've opened him up and made him look at how other people feel which I don't know if that's a good thing or not. He's noticed about this girl who stands in the corridor by herself and he feels sorry for her, he tries to talk to her on Facebook but she ignores him (mostly). He says he used to like her and now he's saying he loves her as a friend. I understand that autistic people interpret feelings in different ways but what does that mean to a non-autistic?
For the first few months, we spent nearly all of out time together. We managed it at first (3 nights a week considering we had college first) and the weekends together. We then started spending every night together including the weekends, I spent 3 days at his house at New Years. Maybe none of this would've happened if we had managed it.

But then, we had an awful weekend where he basically had one of his autistic fits (that's what I call it because he went off it and started shouting, hitting things etc). On the Saturday I told his mother that I couldn't deal with his autism and I didn't want to go home because I didn't want to discuss this over Facebook. We went to see a band on the night and had a really good time, I was still a little sad over what happened on the day but Alex seemed over it. I never brought my bags so I could go home after it and I never so Alex got upset over it. On the Sunday we were told we were going to see a band at a bar in our town and my boyfriend didn't want to go. He got really confused (that's what he says when he's really upset or angry) and was moody over it. To make things worse, you had to buy a drink to sit in the bar so we got kicked out. Alex walked off and his sister sat on the wall outside. I was torn, so I went after Alex.

That was the Sunday everything happened. On the night, Alex popped up to me saying 'You gonna talk now' and that was apparently what I'd said to him before. I knew he was starting to go against me. I can't remember what I said to that but it carried on through to the Monday. On a Monday, I get 2 lessons and then I go home. We usually saw each other for the rest of the day after that, but not this time. I went to Starbucks with my friend and started talking to him there. He was still in the same mood. I had been messaging his mother and was asking her to come for a walk with me to discuss it more, she never so I just left it. When we were walking back he was asking me who I went with, what I did exactly etc and I asked him why do you keep saying that and he said it was because I did it and that made him feel like I didn't trust him. The truth is with that is I only want to know what he's up to because he's my boyfriend and I want to know a little more information than just a friend would. I have no trouble believing him.

On the Monday night he told me everything. He told me all the problems and we finally got back to being how we were before all that.
But he said something that still has an impact on me and that we're actually currently discussing at this present moment.
He said that we are only going to see each other Wednesday nights and possibly the weekend. This was two weeks ago and I haven't seen him on a weekend since he said that.
Condidering I was unhappy with that, we upped it to Mondays and Wednesday nights.

Sometimes it feels like I'm not in a relationship, I feel like a spare part because of what he has going on. He's told me how much he's given up for me in terms of groups he used to be apart of and how he's getting back to it but he's done everything at once, not spread it apart.

How do I resolve this? I've asked him for 3 days or a weekend rotation because he's just told me that he will see his Dad one week off, one week on and one week off etc

I feel trapped.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:38 AM

If a relationship is not what you expected, it's time to break it off. My son has autism and when he gets overwhelmed, he does express it as anger, however, you are not entirely innocent in this. If he was "normal", would you be on the phone calling his mom discussing his behavior? Would you discuss your business in a public place in front of his friends? You seem to think that having a disability means you can announce it all over as a means of telling everyone how wonderful you are for dealing with him.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply