This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much should I charge for a pet portrait?
03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
How much should I charge for a pet portrait?
So I am thinking of starting up a small business to earn some money, I am 16 years old. I have been told that I am talented in the art field and received an a* at gcse..
I enjoy drawing pets, especially dogs, in graphite pencil however I am unsure whether to pursue this or not as I'm not sure if people would pay money for my drawings.

I have attached an example of my work which was drawn from a photo.
Thanks for any advice!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

I'm in the same position as you at the moment, I'm 17 and recently started putted my work out there on facebook to friends and family. I then put an ad up on gumtree. Start off small, maybe £20 at first, and then work your way up from there. Your work is excellent!

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Well don't advertise your price at first and ask for a random price and then observe their reaction to your price? And you keep on doing it a few more times and you'll have the perfect pricing index in your head.

or

You could go to some kinda gallery or some place where they make portraits and then charge more than what they do there.
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Check pet portraiture online and see, don't forget to check through the etsy.com site too.
03-24-2014, 11:54 AM

How much is your time worth? £10 per hour? Or ..... ?

Personally, I would advise you to not commit yourself until you see a photo or an actual animal, and then think of how long it might take you to do and go from there.