This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I allowed to have a facebook?
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Am I allowed to have a facebook?
Im 13 and I want a Facebook but my parents think it's too dangerous. But I am 13 and that is the age Ur allowed to get one.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Yes.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

It's all on your parents. 13 is just the age you can make one but the decision to make one soley depends on you and your parents. I've had one since I was 13, I'm 15 now. My mom thought the same thing but she loosened up.
Explain to them though that you'll only add people you know (friends and family) and actually do that because you don't want strangers. Never request or accept requests from people you don't know, I don't even do that. Learn about your privacy and tell them if you want about Privacy settings.
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM

HELL NO!!!!

Facebook is
Privacy is Out, Facebook Deemed Dangerous

By Chelsi Nakano (@chelkano) May 17, 2010 1 comment

Facebook changed its privacy policy again. Please, alert someone, we don't think we can contain all the shock and surprise we're feeling right now.

Okay but seriously, this time users have been affected so deeply that an official Quit Facebook Day has been instituted, and authorities from both the U.S. and Europe are up in lawsuit-filled arms. Is the social network on its way to becoming a victim of its own success, or are we just being too paranoid?

Mo' Personalization, Mo' Problems

As per usual for the platform, a new beast of a privacy policy — 5,800 words to be exact — is behind the latest uprising.

More specifically, it's Facebook's interest in instituting Instant Personalization that's causing so much concern. By default, the platform's new settings give third-party companies access to highly personal user information such as names, friend lists and hobbies, in order to tailor Web experiences to a viewer's interests.

For example, when a Facebook user logs into a partner site, such as Yelp, the content displayed caters to their interests, as well as the activities of friends in their network.

While Web surfing designed specifically for you doesn't sound so bad, the big argument here is that by making these default settings, Facebook is forcing users to unknowingly expose themselves to a handful of invasive outcomes:
•Personal information is shared with third-party sites
•Malware from Facebook advertisements
•Fake profiles
•Facebook friends who unknowingly make themselves vulnerable

"What Facebook is doing is not acceptable, and its attitude is too cavalier," said Web strategist Josh Levy. "I don't want to go back to the horse and buggy days. But I want modernity to be fair."

"Unfair and Deceptive"

Levy's serious about his concerns, and to prove it he started pledgebank.com/leavefacebook, a site that says he'll delete his Facebook account if 10,000 other users do too. So far, a little over 100 people have made the pledge. Another site called Quit Facebook Day has designated May 31st as the official day to delete your account. Currently, the number of users on board is just shy of 3,000.

Furthermore, a poll on The Consumerist currently shows that 42% of participants would be willing to quit Facebook over privacy policy problems

If all that's not enough seriousness for you, the Electronic Privacy Information Center, along with 14 other privacy and consumer organizations, filed a complaint against Facebook with the Federal Trade Commission, accusing the platform of "unfair and deceptive trade practices" as well as violating users' expectations of privacy and consumer protection laws.

Shut Up and Read

Facebook officials continue to defend the platform, and point out that most users have benefited, or will benefit, from these innovations.

Multi media journalist Luke Appleby is also on defense. "Unless you are sharing your bank account number and password, nuclear weapon plans or terrorist plots, I don't think Facebook, or anyone else, would really care about what you share on Facebook, what your middle name is or where you live," he wrote. "Even advertising companies would only use it for targeted ads, and is that the end of the world? Don't we take similar risks every time we send a letter in the post, make a phone call or talk on a bus?"
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM

That's between you and you're parents, but be warned that someone got raped because of Facebook just saying don't give out personal information
03-24-2014, 12:06 PM

yeeeer
03-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Facebook isn't that great. It basically consists of whores, cyber bullies, and 40 year old creepers trying to lure in young kids. I'm 13 and I have a facebook, and it's not that cool believe me. Besides anything you post on facebook even if you have all your privacy settings on private, your pictures will end up on google. If you really really want to experience facebook for yourself make one, and just don't share your personal info. I can understand your parents concerns, so just talk to them and promise them you won't put anything personal. Tell them you'll let them see your profile and who your talking to. Oh and I think the age is 16 so you'll just have to put a year before 1994. Good luck~ I hope you don't make a facebook it's not worth the lost time and annoyances.