This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can a high school suspend you for creating a criticizing facebook page about your teacher?
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Can a high school suspend you for creating a criticizing facebook page about your teacher?
I was suspended from school for creating a facebook page saying that my teacher was "blitted" also meaning, high. There was a pot leaf as the picture for the page. Can they suspend me from doing this, even though I did it at home on MY computer during MY time? Don't I have freedom of speech? Thanks. Any answers are appreciated.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Yes they can. And your teacher can technically sue you for harassment/disparagement. Freedom of speech only protects you from government retaliation (jail, etc). It doesn't mean you can talks shyte about every day people with no consequences.

Ads

Yes they can do that, that was really a dumb move on your part.

yes they can....

Yeah, of course they can. You do have some freedom of speech, but in high school, it's minimized and you must go by their rules.

yh someone at my school got expelled for making a group about the headteacher and everyone who joined got a detention, over 300 people in 1 detention, was pretty gay

My friend said something about a teacher being 'wack' on facebook and tons of kids got in trouble for it. However, all that happened was the principle telling her she was disappointed in her. Nothing should have happened to you, too. It was on your property on your time, and yes you have a freedom of speech. What they did was probably against the law.

You have the freedom of speech so long as the speech you are giving is either true or strongly thought to be true on your part. Don't get this confused with straight up slander. So yes, they can easily suspend you. People have been suspended for MUCH less.

technically, no because it wasnt on the school computer but i think they could have done something legally so i would just take the suspention but thats just me. & its prolly not a good idea to do that. lol

argue what you just said on here. maybe it was a sh*tty thing to do but still...you didnt hurt anyone or break any laws.