This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Future mother-in-law upset because I blocked her from my Twitter account. Can't she leave me alone?
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Future mother-in-law upset because I blocked her from my Twitter account. Can't she leave me alone?
I have a twitter account that I love and have great fun following my family and friends on. Unfortunately, FMIL found out I had one and unbeknowst to me, until she told me over the weekend,has been following me on it. Nothing risque was said or done, but I really don't like that woman's nose in business and I feel like she has been spying on me. I immediately locked my Twitter account so she couldn't follow it and when I did this, she called me, asking why I had done so. I told her I felt she was spying on me, invading my privacy and that of my friends and family. She said she just wanted to know what I was up to and I told her that it was none of her business, that I was an adult and even my own mother would never do such a thing, so what gives her the right to so?
For the record, my twitter account is under my nickname, so FMIL had to do some digging, it wasn't like I used my real name and also, I am not interested in sharing any part of my life with FMIL. We are not friends and she is not someone whose company I enjoy.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Wow, you are completely in the wrong here. If you don't want people following what you're doing...don't post your personal life on TWITTER. You yourself said that you love following your family and friends. She's doing the exact same thing. Lighten up.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:55 AM

This is what happens with social networking sites...

Like you, all my social networking sites are locked and private. I can understand how you would want it so. I know she probably feels like it's a public forum and she has every right to follow you around on Twitter, but on the other hand, you also have every right to dictate who has access to it.

There really isn't much you can do other than keep your account private (which you should have done to begin with) and let it go. Yes, you are an adult and as an adult you have a right to a modicum of privacy.
03-24-2014, 12:03 PM

It's a public forum just like Y!A. She has a right to follow and you have right to post. This boils down to family ethics and is a personal choice to follow or not to follow. She just wanted to see what you were up to and you have a right to be a little irked by this invasion of "privacy." You told her to butt out and that's all you can do.
03-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Agreed, you are in the wrong.
There is no privacy when you announce to the world what your doing on twitter. If you don't have anything to hide there is nothing to worry about. The fact that you blocked her probably makes her think you have something to hide.
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM

no because she is a mother in law. that's what they do. You are right. its really not her right to stalk you online. with that said, she may not trust you. have you ever cheated on her son? or is she just in need of a buddy right now. she may be lonely and she wants a homey. invite her to a ladies only event. invite ur best friend, ur mom and her so she can see that u guys are a bunch of down to earth gals who r not swinging around like monkeys. the veryleast thing you should do is call her once in a while and say hey mom, how r u?
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM

wow icy much? I can understand you bring concerned about this- but the way you reacted is out of line. If she was trying to spy on you- why would she tell you? You block her- of course shes going to be offended. It seems like she was just trying to get to know you better- and boy did you shut her down. And how. What did she do that was so hurtful to you? Look at a website you made public then tell you about it? Hardly seems vindictive or even an invasion of privacy- now if she was breaking into your account- I could understand- but she looked at a PUBLIC website- then TOLD you. I think you should be the one doing the apologizing here- not her.
03-24-2014, 12:31 PM

You're posting on a public forum and have to deal with the consequences of your actions. The same would be true if you posted something about hating your boss and then got fired. Whatever you say there is public. And you were much too confrontational when she asked you about it. Accusing her of spying on you and invading privacy that you have no reasonable expectation of? Badly done.
03-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Both Future sister in laws stalk me online too. I guess it would not be a big deal if the dropped me a line and said hi but they never do the just simply follow me on myspace and facebook and then yell at my fiance if they see something that upsets them like we had friends over for dinner and I posted that I was excited they were coming and they called my fiance to ask why they were not invited. It is creepy. So I get where you are coming from. It is not a keep in touch relationship it is a keep tabs relationship.
03-24-2014, 12:44 PM

I really don't think your mother in law meant harm, and maybe she was just trying to be friendly or involved with your life in some way, since you are apparently going to marry her son. Anyone has the right to follow your social networking accounts if they are public. I guess that's what gave her the right.

I think you were a little gruff in your conversation with her.

You didn't mention whether she sticks her nose into everything, all the time, or if this was an isolated incident.

If you don't want certain people following you on social networks, make your accounts private all the time. And maybe apologize to your mother in law for having such a fit, over an account YOU chose to make public.