This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What should I do? College student at a crossroads...?
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM
What should I do? College student at a crossroads...?
This is the first time I have written about this since I came here 2 years ago. I am really unhappy at my college, I am somewhere in the middle of Vermont, and am from Los Angeles, and have had a really hard time adjusting to this completely different culture. So much so that every minute in the last year has been spent completely alone. I eat alone, I study alone, and I try to deal with my issues alone since I don't have anyone I can confide my problems in. I have literally become scared of what the future holds after being so miserable and alone, I don't see myself climbing out of this hole I have dug myself in. I am doing well academically, this is my second year in college, but have become extremely introverted as a result of my solitude, I feel like a burden to everyone. I don't even talk to my roommate who has grown to hate me because I don't talk much, and has even spread the word to some of his friends about how strange and quiet I am. I wasn't always this way but some things in my life made me just want to stop trying really hard for new friendships. Anyway, I caught him and his four friends bashing me on twitter, accusing me of things I would never be capable of doing, like becoming a bum and pissing away everything in my life. That has pushed me to believe that maybe I don't belong in college and should drop out. I would rather be happy than miserable, and I think even if I finish college, maybe that wouldn't be the best thing in the world for me. I have no one I can talk to in this world, I have a few friends, like maybe three or four, but I can't talk to any of the about this because I was always the smart kid in high school who was expected to do big things, and telling everyone about how much I am struggling in college seems like a bad idea. I am an economics major, and would definitely like to become a professor one day, but would honestly settle for being happy instead. I apologize in advance if any of this is really vague, I have been depressed to the point that I've become so numb to emotions, even my laughter is broken, and when I think about it all, I can't help but cry over it. I am a male, 21 years old, and would sincerely appreciate any advice or personal experiences.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

find a bible open it up to any page and start to read it. Just read ..

Ads

03-24-2014, 12:03 PM

I am the mother of 5 grown up son
Here my advice
See a doctor this week and tell him how depress you are
He would give you the proper medication for your depression
I would NOT take any serious decision about my future NOW

You cannot think logically when you are depress ; so start by being mentally healthy and then ; take a decision about your future
I would give this advice to any of my sons
Where are your parents in all this ?
You do not have any siblings ? neither ;; aunts; uncle ; cousins ?
03-24-2014, 12:11 PM

In such situations, do all the best according to your capacity and capability and leave the rest to God. God will take care of everything.
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM

This calls for a two-step approach:

1. The school years can be the absolute worst time of your life. I'm surprised any of us survive it.
You are struggling with so many issues and from the effects of accumulated stress. Your body
and mind are trying to cope but ... it's hard.

Don't colleges have student counselors? They're supposed to guide you into an appropriate
career path according to your abilities/talents. The Dept of Labor has/had a program where they
test you to see what fields you would be good and which to avoid. Or talk with a church pastor.

If I were you, I'd change colleges if possible, one closer to your home so you could be with
your family, friends and familiar culture. I've heard that teaching doesn't really pay that much,
but I guess professors get more.

The brain is a very complicated and delicate thing. It can get sick, injured, and messed up,
etc...just like any other organ. You have some symptoms of depression which is usually
caused by chemical imbalance in the brain which is very common and nothing to be ashamed of.

A dr or counselor can prescribe appropriate medications to help you get better.
With the right meds, you will be much better, happier, calmer, confident, patient, eager to
see what the future holds, safer and feel normal.
You won’t get well by yourself and, by ignoring it, it will only get worse.

2. But counseling and meds can do only so much. God is the ONLY one who knows what you’re thinking, how you’ve struggled and what you’re going thru. He loves you passionately and wants to be your BFF. He has a super-deluxe custom-made plan for your life that’s beyond anything you ever dreamed of.

BUT He waits for us to ask. Invite Him into your heart, ask Him to take over your life. You will feel so much better. You are His special masterpiece. He planned for you before He even created the universe.

Watch Him ease the stress and give you peace in it's place. He is on YOUR side. He never stops thinking about you. His thoughts toward you are more than the grains of sand on the beach (Psalm 139). He loves you more than you can possibly imagine!

Find a big happy church and join some groups. Get a bible that’s easy to read (New King James is good) and read it every day. Find Christian support groups. Watch Christian programs like Joel Osteen, 700 Club, Daystar, TBN TV. Read Christian books, watch Christian DVDs.
All the above and churches also have wonderful counselors that can help you.

There's so much fascinating information to learn. Jesus loves you more than you can possibly imagine. You’ll have fun and the rest of your life will be the very best of your life.

Since the bible is the best-selling book of all time, nobody can claim to have even a basic education without having read and studied it.

I hope this helps; it sure made a huge difference for me Smile
They who seek The Lord shall not lack any good thing. Ps. 34:10

Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. Ps 37:4-6

Pour out your heart to Him (Ps 62:8) Nothing you say will shock or surprise God.
Cast all your anxiety/stress on Him because He cares for YOU Smile 1 Pet 5:7
"No one has seen, heard or even imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love Him."
1 cor 2:9 WOW!
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

I've kind of been there, still somewhat am, but not like what you described. The main thing is to focus on improving yourself, start exercising daily unless you already are. I started running a couple miles every day, and the endorphins changes your behavior and mood and makes you feel better about yourself. Going to the gym if you have free time is what I do before class, people will respect you more when they see all the hard work you put forth not just into studying but into yourself and body...I'm serious.

Doing so will make you more approachable and more confident with yourself. You already have goals for your career in being a professor, most people your age do not. One of the brightest professors I've ever had was in econ 201. This was general ed, but still he stood out above the rest.

Those people on twitter and your roommate act like they are still in high school. Who cares, eventually you wont remember them and vice versa. Also, if deep down inside you feel that you should stand up for yourself, do it. You will regret it later if you didn't. I've started standing up for myself a few years ago much more, and people begin to respect you more for it. If someone begins arguing with me I will argue even harder back, this could be about anything...school related, work related...they eventually start looking up to you as someone who is strong and not insecure with themselves and their actions. Sorry if this is not helpful, but I felt like I was you a few years ago and I changed myself for the better.
03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

This reminds me of my self. I'm a freshmen in college and I do almost the same as you. I don't go to parties, I don't like to drink or smoke, and I find it hard to relate to people. Im stuck in my room 24 7 unless im going to class. Some days im to afraid to go, or to go eat, so i sit and starve in my room. I took test online and it revealed that I may have social anxiety. I want to tell people that this is why I'm this way but its hard.