This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think our sexual orientations are shaped by the social media?
03-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Do you think our sexual orientations are shaped by the social media?
I'm lesbian. I'm wondering, do you think that sexual orientations are shaped in part by the social media?
Ok, I remember one of the first sexual things I saw ever on tv was 'wild things' when I was 10.
And just remember being turned on as hell by the classic Neve Campbell and Denise Richards scene.
This was around the first time I had a crush on one of my classmates (girl). The odd thing is that she wasnt very girly. She was kindof a cool sporty type; almost like a Darlene from Roseanne type. I couldn't say exactly which came first (the crush or seeing the film scene), but do you think this movie scene just arrived right at a pivotal time in my life? And then one thing led to another, and I just became more and more interested in girls, to the point where they were the only ones I was interested in, and just ignored guys? Or do you think I would've been this way even if I hadn't seen the film?
What do you think?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:19 PM

I think the media makes the younger people, my age, want to sexually experiment more with the same sex. However I don't the media shapes our sexual orientation.

In your case, i think that was the first time you realized, that you were turned by girls. It's like that flick a switch inside of you.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:28 PM

No.

I've known I've liked men since I was like 4 or 5. I'm straight btw. Also, I've known about sex since I was like 6 or 7.
03-24-2014, 04:37 PM

No, I don't think our sexual orientations are shaped by social media. I think we are born with them and nothing changes them.
03-24-2014, 04:41 PM

No.
03-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Sappho was around LONG before computers, sweetie. Social media simply gives LGBT kids the chance to know that they're not alone. Believe me, that's an improvement.

The media in general pushes kids into sexual behavior too quickly, I think, but on balance it's better to have the ability to communicate. For some kids in small towns or oppressive homes, the computer is a lifeline.

The film awakened you to what was already there. It doesn't put something there that doesn't exist. I could watch football movies until I was blue in the face and I would never like the sport.