This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Facebook an unnecessary trend or a valuable tool in today's world?
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Is Facebook an unnecessary trend or a valuable tool in today's world?
I think people get too sucked into Facebook. However, after deleting mine, I can't help but wonder-is it actually a valuable tool?
I recently did some work with a media company and one of the first things they asked me was if I had Facebook (so I could "like" their page, if I wanted to). I said no, I didn't. But I wonder if it is something people actually expect of people in a professional way?
I'd rather a potential employer contacted me by phone or email, personally, but you see my point!
Or, on the other hand, is my being Facebook-less actually one of my "unique selling points"? Are people more likely to be intrigued as to my avoiding the social network circle?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Facebook is an abomination of God! Back foul creature, back to the pit from whence ye came!

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:23 PM

I use it simply to wish my friends a happy birthday and stay in touch with old classmates. Twitter is the only sociable thing ont he web I really enjoy apart from online poker for entertainment.

Facebook as a means of making money and getting a business out there is poor, however creating a band page like the ones you see on myspace to promote a band tends to be successful ont he book of face.

Personally I think it's just another trend which will die in a few years.
03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Facebook can be good and bad. It's a good way of keeping in contact with friends etc who live overseas for example. For the life of me I can't understand why people need to constantly update their status with mindless drivel. As far as I can tell the more friends you have on facebook the less you have in real life.
03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

I've been using Facebook as a means for professional conduct for around a year now. Facebook hoards in 500 million users, meaning you can get easy targetted traffic to your site.

From a social point of view, it's a vast portal to paedophiles and creeps. I use it daily but I'm not stupid with what I post or who I show it to.

It's a trend, such as Myspace was, and it'll die down after the next big marketing tool has errupted into the scene.
03-24-2014, 04:30 PM

FACEBOOK (SOCIAL NETWORKS) IS ONE OF THE MAIN FIRES BEHIND THE TURMOIL AND REVOLUTION IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

WILL IT BE BENEFICIAL TO THE PEOPLE AND THE REST OF THE WORLD. WILL IT BRING PEACE TO THE PLANET.OUBT IT.

BUT CHANGE IS GOOD.

AND WE HAVE FACEBOOK TO INADVERTENTLY THANK.
03-24-2014, 04:36 PM

I agree with you there, i've became addicted to facebook to the point where it is causing arguments between me and my boyfriend. However, it is a good way to stay in contact with people from your past and even presant. Why dont you create an account and just use it for buisness purposes? I dont see it being necessary though as there is plenty of other methods to contact you.
03-24-2014, 04:39 PM

As someone who quit Facebook a couple of years ago, I think it has good and bad points. I think the core idea of linking digital activity to specific people will stick around. It was with us before Facebook. Facebook just brought it to the mass market.

I think it will die off, but only when something new comes along that has the good parts without the bad parts and hopefully with some new good parts thrown in for good measure.

I think it has become expected that everyone has Facebook, but I don't think it has reached the point where you're excluded if you don't have one. Some people might see it as a good thing for you not to have one, and some people might see it as a bad thing. On balance, it probably doesn't make much difference.

I think for a Facebook-like thing to really take off and become pretty much impossible to live without, it will have to break free from the shackles of being run by a single, private company. Businesses in particular must be uncomfortable about giving too much power to Facebook the company. I would like to see an open standard for doing the sorts of things that are good about Facebook. That way, we can have lots of providers in a competitive market.
03-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Like some others, I think it's good & bad;

GOOD
- You can talk to people on holiday, for free (but I spose MSN could be used).
- You can share photos for free - no cost to mms them to a friend/family member.
- People you keep in touch with are more likely to change their phone number/email address, so having them on facebook to contact them is a good thing.
- You can communicate with organisations - like local ITV News programmes now have facebook - you can comment on a story, and they'll read it out in their programme...

BAD
- Bullying - some people I know use it to create rants about other people.
- It makes people lazy
- Years ago when facebook wasn't around, people were still able to communicate with eachother, meaning facebook is just something which isn't really that valuable - a phone would be much more valuable.
- It distracts you from work - I deleted it when I had to do exams/a lot of coursework.
- Some people are actually addicted to it !!