This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My boss is a Facebook friend. What should I do?
03-24-2014, 04:18 PM
My boss is a Facebook friend. What should I do?
I work at a small agency. Many of us have been working together for 20yrs. We have all become "close", like a family. We have a boss who we have all worked with for many years. She became a Facebook friend of mine. I am now thinking that it was a mistake. She makes comments that makes me MAD at work & MAD when she makes them on Facebook. I think that she waits for my nightly posts. How can I defriend her without it causing problems? Many at work will not friend me because of her.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM

hmmm, you should delete her, then if she confronts you, stay calm and say why, she cant fire you over not being her friend on facebook :]

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Nothing. The reality is, employers are now watching and stalking our Facebooks. Whether they have friended you or not, they are watching, this is the way it is and it'll only get worse.

You have the benefit of knowing for a fact that your employer is watching your Facebook, for a lot of people, they never know this until they get dragged into their bosses office. A human resources director for a mid size company told me HR departments are also watching their staff's Facebook accounts.

The key -- adapt to this because it won't change.
03-24-2014, 04:35 PM

I guess you might have to get a different account, may be even change from facebook to Myspace or other alternative sites. That seems a bit underhand though, so if you can, perhaps you just need to go speak to the boss and just tell her that much as you like her as a boss, and as a person, you're wondering if having too much contact on facebook is running the risk of blurring the boundaries of your work roles too far, and then ask her if she has any concerns too. You might find out that she is also feeling a bit awkward. If however, she has no problems and is really happy to be friends in this way then you either bite the bullet and just tell her that for you it is a step too far, and that you won't be communicating in this way with her anymore, or you carry on as you are. You could talk about what it is she says that drives you so nuts, she might not know how annoying it is. If your work friends won't be friends, I'm wondering just how "close" the close friendships are though!
03-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Like anything facebook probably gets a lot of malfunctions and seeing as how your boss is new to facebook I'm sure you can tell a little fib to get you out of deep trouble in the future. just delete her as a friend and possibly make something up such as "I didn't do it intentionally facebook was acting up last night" or such.

if you can't pull that off try deleting your account and adding your old friends.
03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

ummmm i dont kno why you added her in the first place!!! delete her...and change your privacy settings to where she cant see your page, photos, or comments. If she asks why you deleted her, just say you dont use facebook anymore...
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM

Ermm well i wud delete her from your facebook friends list then go block her so she can't contact you and if she asks youu why your not on her facebook friends just say 'my facebook keeps playing up'
Hope this helps Smile x