This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does it annoy you when ?
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Does it annoy you when ?
People try to use outdated name like Mary or Esther and even Mabel o.O as first names it does my head in can you imagine poor Esther in a class of Olivia's and Liam's or granny names like Margot Gertrude Virginia ehhh any one else hate this :/ x
I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just my opinion I'm not saying I hate the name's I just think they fit in the wrong era to use in the is century I really would hate to see the name Gertrude being used though its so ugly looking ehhh

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:32 PM

I'd rather give my child a Classic, outdated name than some trashy made up, gender incorrect crap.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:35 PM

No, I don't hate those. They are more my style of name.
03-24-2014, 04:43 PM

i agree i hate old names like Mary, Esther, Mabel etc.

i think names change as the years change and people should keep up to date and move on from old names in the past that aren't popular anymore to save kids any bullying or feeling left out by having an old/out of date name.

i know what that feels like.x
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM

All of those are nice, classic and timeless names unlike Brittany, Paisley and whatever else passes for a trendy name these days.
03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

I don't remember looking through baby books and seeing dates from the 1900's on names. First, Mary is timeless! It's my moms name who is 45. Ask her if she ever got made fun of? No. I mean, your judging. You know people are named after loves ones from tradition. As Megan said, I'd rather have an older timeless classic name than a made up, spelled wrong, trendy name.
03-24-2014, 05:01 PM

No! Those names r part of the "cool granny" names. Olivia and William "Liam" r both very old names with a long history as well. So Margot and Mabel will fit right in AND be taken much more seriously than Ryleigh and Jayden
03-24-2014, 05:08 PM

What makes a name 'outdated?'
Names fluctuate in popularity, and todays 'outdated' name will be tomorrow's 'trendy' name.

20-some years ago when my sister named her daughter Hannah, I remember thinking that it was a rather old-fashioned name. A few years later it was in the top 10, and has remained near the top every since.

Many other popular names (Jake/Jacob, Sofia, Isbaelle, Emma, Noah, Olivia, Henry, etc.) are also 'newly popular' after being off the bottom of the charts for many decades.

Emma was very popular in the early 20th century -- dropped off in the 40's, and reappeared with a vengeance in the 1990's.

And while "Mary" is far less popular than it used to be (it was #1 for the first half of the 20th century) it still retains a 'classic name' status.
03-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Not at all. I think the 'Rylee' and 'Nevaeh' look utterly ridiculous next to the classic, timeless Mary. I'm sorry, but this is a stupid, judgemental question.
03-24-2014, 05:20 PM

No, not particularly. What would be wrong with an Esther in a class full of Olivias and Liams? And what's wrong with Margot, Gertrude and Virginia? Just because they're not your style doesn't mean you should criticise them - especially since you haven't actually explained why you're annoyed by them.

Is it because they're not pretty enough for you? Not fashionable enough? Not eughneike, tryndee and moddyrn enough for you? Well, I'm sorry, but those aren't good enough excuses to hate on perfectly decent names. Now, if you were complaining about 'up to date' names like Hashtag and Blue Ivy then I would have a different opinion... Smile

Edit: I'm not offended in the slightest as I actually enjoyed answering your question! That being said, just because they're not "timeless classics", doesn't mean they have no place in the 21st century. Especially since the 21st century seems to be all about outrageous common names, gender-inappropriate names (for girls only, of course, which solidifies sexism), misspelled names and words that should not be names. So, if outdated choices are eliminated just because they don't fit in terms of style, then what options do people like me have left if we're not particularly stoked about the 21st century options.

I've put Gertrude on the back-burner for now, because even I admit that it's a bit extreme, but I'd still use it in a heart-beat if given the chance. Because, while it's not the prettiest name going, I still think it's better than Nevaeh, Aubreigh and Hashtag, and certainly more elegant, intelligent and classy! ^_^