This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is being single at 19 old for a Mormon?
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Is being single at 19 old for a Mormon?
I read about Bringham Young University being a meat market for finding a spouse and most students marry at 22 and have 5 kids before age 30 and college is the last place to find a spouse. Im not Mormon but Catholic and very family oriented like them and want to marry young. im unfortunately at community college for another year and a half and theres no social life here so when I transfer at 20 will it be to late to find that family oriented girl who wants kids. I plane on going to a Catholic school. am I old?
It would surprise the hell out of me if any mormon my age was single.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:33 PM

mormons are usually married and having sex by the age of 15.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Remember that most Mormon boys go on missions. Prior to a year or so ago, the age was 19. It has since been lowered to 18. So, boys will be on their mission until they are 20 or a bit older before they return and become target for young women on the hunt for husbands.

Young women can now go on missions when they are 19 (it was 21), so for the most part, you're going to find that the marriage games starts at 21 or so for young women and 20 for young men.
03-24-2014, 04:46 PM

no, youre still young
03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

Marriage at 19 is rare for a Mormon.
03-24-2014, 04:51 PM

I went to B.Y.U. and it is not a meat market I can assure you. I am a woman and I didn't marry until I was 28. It is so easy to lump 25,000 students into one and make assumptions about them but as with any other blanket statement about a group of people it is rarely accurate.

I have 5 kids and only one is married right now. I have a single daughter who is 27 and a son who is 25. The two youngest are on missions for our church. It is what they wanted to do and I am glad that they made that decision.

I am very strong in the Mormon faith and this is what I believe; a person should marry when they are ready for marriage and when they meet the right person. That's it. My married daughter chose to marry her High School sweetheart at age 20 and is very happy.

It really doesn't matter what time in your twenties that you marry as long as you are ready and prepared for it. When I was 21 I was not ready though my friends were. It took me many more years to get to the point where I felt ready and met someone that I wanted to marry.

The social norms change for each generation. Why be concerned with how old Brigham Young's wives were over a 150 years ago? What is important is what our prophet today tells us.
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM

Nineteen is not old for being single by LDS standards. Most Mormon young men and many young women are serving missions at the age of 19. It used to be the norm for girls to be married by 19 or 20, but not so much anymore. I think the average is probably 21 or 22 for girls and maybe 23-24 for boys, which is still pretty young, but lots of young people are still not married by 30.