This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
thinking of buying a Kindle keyboard WI 3G what is the difference between that?
03-24-2014, 04:40 PM
thinking of buying a Kindle keyboard WI 3G what is the difference between that?
and the one with no keyboard is it inconvenient with no keyboard and is it annoying having sponsers adverts on home page where else are they ?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Personally I think the one with the keyboard is better as when you then try to read your 'book' you have to clean your screen of fingerprints! Get the 3G as it doesn't require a network connection to your computer so you can download books anywhere. It's a bit more expensive but worth it especially if you travel.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Don't get the keyboard one! You should definitely wait for the new Kindle Fire! You can pre-order it for only $199 now and it is coming out on November 15.

You can find it here to pre-order (I just did and I'm super excited!): http://url.ie/dg0q

What's great about pre-ordering is that it even comes with free subscription to Amazon Prime. It's like Netflix but better!
03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

Hi, mona, no point in getting 3G Kindle now as they limit what web sites you can access (only Amazon store and Wikipedia are allowed.) The largest collections of free eBooks in the world are in ePub format which Kindle doesn't support but Nook from Barnes & Noble does. Nook eBooks store has over 2 million of paid books and about the same number of free public domain books. With Nook, you can checkout eBooks from public libraries - just need to get Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software (free from Adobe site). If you walk in with the Nook to Barnes & Noble store, you’re allowed to read any available eBook for free while in the store via free provided in the store Wi-Fi. Nook allows for lending Nook books for two weeks thus if you have friends and family with Nooks, they can lend you their books to read.
The only models I would take into consideration are Nook Simpletouch from Barnes & Noble and the new Kindle Touch (non-ad-supported) that both cost $139. Ad-supported Kindle models show full page ads to you (and everyone around you) every time they go to sleep mode and also show 2 line ads right there at your home screen - so annoying that Amazon even released a software that for $30 can convert ad-supported Kindle into non-ad-supported one. Non-touch screen Kindle models are such basic stone age devices (with page turn lag, buttons, and black blinks/flashes on each page turn) that I would not even speak about them. Nook (unlike Kindle) supports eBooks in ePub format that is the universal format most used in the world. Current e-Ink Nook Simpletouch has the latest generation touch screen display, no page turn lag, it weights less, its battery lasts twice as long (two months on one charge), it has microSD slot and it doesn't blink on each page turn - much better than current Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard. Nook Touch is still better designed than even the new Kindle Touch with battery lasting two months with ONE hour reading a day with Wi-Fi off thus it's still twice as long as new Kindle's two months with HALF and hour a day with Wi-Fi off. It looks like Kindle didn't get any battery improvement in the new model, they only changed the test condition. More, Kindle Touch still flashes black on each page turn while Nook Touch reduces the flashing by 80%. Nook Touch and Nook Color (unlike Kindle) have microSD card slot to take a card (class 6 or above) up to 32 GB.
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM

If your priority is book reading then I would recommend you to get the touch version but if your priority is typing and emails then I would suggest you to get the keyboard version,

The ads are headache to some peoples. They just don't like getting ads. So the version which claims to be without ads is better for those peoples only, but if you do not minds ads beside your page like the ads we get in Facebook, then you are good with that version.

Here is a very good place from my bookmarks where you can get more information on the differences via FAQ about kindle:

http://budurl.com/KindleRegularFAQ

And here is a good review for the differences between your mentioned versions:

http://budurl.com/ChooseKindle

Hope I helped!
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

The Kindle product line now involves the following four key choices:

(1) E Ink vs LCD display

Choose E Ink (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard) if long-run reading is your priority; choose LCD (Kindle Fire) if apps/games/video/web-browsing is your priority. E Ink displays ebooks just like paper-based ebooks, using ambient light; LCD displays ebooks just like computer monitors, using back lighting. On the other hand, E Ink is only black-and-white and is too slow for video. LCD does great with those non-reading applications. Further, Kindle Fire has a sophisticated web browser, Silk, which leverages local and cloud storage and processing dynamically, thereby providing high-performance web browsing.

LCD ereaders, due to their backlight, can be read in the dark; E Ink ereaders require an external light source (such as are built-in to some cases). E Ink ereaders, due to their use of ambient light, can be read in direct sunlight; LCD ereaders cannot.

(2) Five-way controller vs multi-touch vs keyboard

Choose 5-way to save money (base Kindle is only $79); choose multi-touch (Kindle Touch) for easy-of-use; choose keyboard (Kindle Keyboard) for ease-of-typing.

(3) WiFi vs WiFi+3G

Choose WiFi+3G if you wish to download ebooks or browse the web when away from a WiFi hotspot. An ereader with 3G support will be able to connect like a cell phone. Unlike a cell phone, however, there is no monthly fee for Kindle's 3G service. Note, though, that the web browser on Kindle isn't so great. Also, once an ebook is downloaded, neither WiFi nor 3G is needed to read it.

(4) With Special Offers vs Without Special Offers

Choose the lower-cost Kindles With Special Offers (KSO) to save money unless you have a philosphical problem with even non-obtrusive ads:

KSO Pros:
* $40 (WiFi) or $50 (3G) less expensive.
* May save more if special offers turn out to be useful to you.
* Ads do not show up in the middle of reading an ebook.
* I've heard only praise from those who buy Kindle WSO.

KSO Cons:
* May just dislike ads in principle, even outside of reading experience.