This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I be concerned/worried about this photoshoot I'm doing for a friend?
03-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Should I be concerned/worried about this photoshoot I'm doing for a friend?
My boyfriend's friend (whom I've known for over a year) is a photographer. Not a big time one, I guess you would say and amateur one.

He's doing a photoshoot and asked me to be the model for it. We've discussed the concept, costume, and all that and I'm not uncomfortable with any of it so that's not an issue.

However, my boyfriend warned me that he (the friend) will want everything done his way (which I wouldn't mind, but I would speak up if I feel that I need to) and that he will take all the credit and watermark his photos.

Modeling is not my goal in life. Its nice that he asked me but I don't plan on making it a career, I just see this as a fun project. So should I even be concerned that I wouldn't get credit for it?
Almost all his photos end up just on his facebook and instagram, and he would tag me in that.

Also he has a friend who plans on making a full career out of being a makeup artist who will be joining us and all she request that we take a headshot that she can use for her portfolio.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Why wouldn't he take credit for and watermark HIS photos? Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I'm sure he'll credit you as the model, as you say by tagging you in Facebook, but don't expect anything else.

Ads

03-24-2014, 05:01 PM

If you don't feel comfortable with the photos then I think you must refuse. It doesn't matter if modelling is your career or not!

All the best,
03-24-2014, 05:04 PM

The photographer owns the copyright to any photos he takes and can do anything he wants with them unless you have signed a Model Release Form limiting him to what he can do. Of course he will watermark them - most photographers do. You rarely see the model getting credit for a photographer's work

However, if you do not want him using your photos on adult sites, selling them, etc, then you need to sign a Model Release form that specifically states he is allowed to use the photos on his personal social networking pages but he is not allowed to post them or sell them to any adult content sites, for example.
03-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Photographers do take all the credit for their own work - that is normal practice.

A model is just a model - they do not get credit for anything. However they usually get paid in some way, whether that's money, or the chance to get some free prints, or perhaps be allowed to use a couple of images for their portfolio. You need to talk to the photographer and ask what you are getting out of this deal.

If you are not happy, then I respectfully suggest you don't agree to it.

As a model you have no rights to the photographs the photographer takes, nor any rights to be credited. They are his photos, he will own the copyright and he can do what he wants with them. He will put watermarks on his photos, if you want to buy them he will remove the watermark. But you'll need to talk to him if you want to do that. He'll give you a price or come to some arrangement.

If your friend wants to use a photo, she will have to ask the photographers permission, and possibly pay a fee (or come to an arrangement with the photographer).
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM

I'd pass on this. He's not a photographer, he's just what we call a " GWC ". A guy with a camera . Owning a
camera doesn't make you a photographer, it makes you a camera owner.
When I shoot people, I always ask them for their opinion .
03-24-2014, 05:25 PM

Why on earth would you think it is a problem if the photographer takes credit for their own photographs?